2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gypsum

Re:Gypsum 13 years 3 months ago #8317

• BOYHUD17
  • BOYHUD17's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Give thanks to God for the sang we all love to dig
Well goshdang I'm glad you told me that cuz i had no idea, andi could just see yself now spending enough money for seeds then losing it all lol So about atleast 10 years minimum to even think of replanting in the same spot?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Gypsum 13 years 3 months ago #8318

• BOYHUD17
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Well let me ask another thing while I'm it. If i have a 20 acre woodlslots and i plant 10 acres of seed, then after ten years i harvest it. Will that other ten acres of woods be ok to plant on? cuz it wouldnt affect the whole woods lot would it?

Re:Gypsum 13 years 3 months ago #8319

About replanting.

From Persons ginseng book:

\"When ginseng is replanted on the same site after a first crop has been raised to maturity and harvested, sometimes the results are disastrous. Losses of anywhere from 30%-100% are reported. The exact cause of the difficulties is still unknown, but second plantings seem more susceptible to any kind of stress, especially diseases. Sometimes problems do not arise until after the plants are three or four years old and the grower has a great deal of time and effort invested in them.\"

He goes on to say:
\"I have often tried replanting in the same beds, and I have found that it is only likely to be successful where I have had vigorous groth and absolutely no disease problems the first time around. ....Try a small test plot on the used site. If it grows to maturity, then it is probably safe to replant the entire area.\"

Seems like disease is the biggest concern in replanting an area.

classicfur

Re:Gypsum 13 years 3 months ago #8320

BOYHUD17,
Answering your question.
It would not effect the other 10 acres of woods that had not had seeds planted in them.
Latt

Re:Gypsum 13 years 3 months ago #8321

• BOYHUD17
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks yall. I guess really need to get that book by Scott lol

Re:Gypsum 13 years 3 months ago #8326

Classicfur,
Can you put ginseng seed in the freezer to keep them from germinating in the frig this time of year if it is impossible to plant now due to the weather? I had heard ginseng seed can survive down to 5 degrees. Freezing them will happen in the freezer at 20 to 30 degrees. I know that leaf litter and ground temps can be warmer that the air but in mother nature the ground under the leaves is often frozen a couple of inches deep. So in essence the ginseng seed that is broadcast as Scott recommends would be frozen as well.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Gypsum 13 years 3 months ago #8334

Latt,

I know where I live in Maine, the ground freezes atleast 3 inches down or more. The thing I have noticed, is seeds that don't get good soil covering them, they tend to dry out and die. But seeds that are covered with soil seem to emerge just fine after they have been frozen during the winter.

Here is a couple of things I found online about seeds freezing.

\"Although spring planting of stratified ginseng seeds is possible, it will not have as high of a successful germination rate as fall planting. Ginseng seeds benefit from exposure to freezing conditions, and ideally they should be planted in the fall when local trees begin losing their leaves.\"

And another: from Glacial Ginseng Co.

\"Quality of Seed: The most important thing here is seed germination. If your seeds are fresh from the stratifying pit and have been properly handled, your yield is going to be much higher. Ginseng has an 18 month gestation period. The last 6 months are the most important. In order for the seeds to properly develop, they must be exposed to freezing and thawing conditions such as occur naturally in the spring of the year. If the seeds have been kept in storage and not exposed to the temperature changes, your yield is not going to be there. The moisture content is very important. If the hulls on the seeds have been allowed to dry, you're just wasting your money.\"

I agree that seeds that are planted in the fall will freeze in the ground during the winter and they germinate just fine. But I don't know what affect freezing the seeds in the freezer will have on germination. It makes sense that they would do fine, but I have not heard of anyone trying this.

classicfur

Re:Gypsum 13 years 3 months ago #8341

Hey Latt,

I read thru Scotts book looking to see if he addressed that issue and he did somewhat speak to your question on page 148.

He suggested planting seeds as soon as possible then let mother nature take care of them...

But went on to say..

Inevitably, on occasion, you will need to hold seeds for weeks before planting. Hold them in a cool (below 60 degree) shady secure location (even in a refrigerator but not in the freezer) and mix them up every few days to aerate and maintain a even level of moisture throughout. Add moisture when the husks begen to lighten in color.

He suggested ziplock plastic bags with holes poked in them.

He said that if the seeds stick to your fingers when squeezed that would indicate they are too wet.

==

I agree that the seeds we have planted in the ground are going to freeze some on and off until spring, but Scott did say not to store then in the freezer. He did not give any details on why (not any where near that page that I have found anyway).

Good Luck

TNhunter

Re:Gypsum 13 years 3 months ago #8342

On winter/spring planting...

I know the guy over on the Glacial Gold site says ginseng seed can be planted any time the ground is not frozen.

Also on page 185 in Scotts book - part of the Oscar Wood story - Oscar said \"One season I could not get all of my beds planted in the fall and had to wait until March to sow. Those beds came up the first of May just like the others we set out in the fall.\"

TNhunter

Re:Gypsum and replanting 13 years 3 months ago #8353

Really, no replanting in as much as 10 years later?

I understand soil depletion... however I was not expecting to hear this! Can you say some more about this?

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 360 guests and no members online

Login