2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: How do you handle a low pH situation?

How do you handle a low pH situation? 13 years 2 months ago #8351

My soil pH's were taken from various spots up and down the sties we are going to plant. From top to bottom of the sites, the pH ranged highest to lowest in analysis. However all were lower than recommended for good growth [as I understand it]. The top of the patch had a pH of 4.1, mid area had 4.3, and near a Hemlock tree at the bottom, had a pH of 4.5.

I'm a new grower, have done lots of research, and will be putting out the seeds this spring.

How do you guys/gals elevate the pH when you need to?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:How do you handle a low pH situation? 13 years 2 months ago #8356

Check out the Threads on the Wildgrown.com pertaining to soil and PH. Many have commented on this and there is a lot of great info. In your case you need to raise the soil PH to about 5.5 if possible. You need to use Lime which is Calcium Carbonate to raise your PH level. You will want to find out how much to use to raise it to that desired level.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:How do you handle a low pH situation? 13 years 2 months ago #8357

Also need to pay attention to your calcium levels.

If below 2000 need to add calcium.

Per Scotts book - below 1500 poor, In the 3000 range moderate, in the 5000 range good.

Lime will add calcium and raise the PH.

Gypsum will add calcium but has little effect on PH.

If your calcium levels were in the 1000-1500 range you may need to add enough Lime to raise the PH to around 5.5, then use Gypsum if more calcium boost is desired/needed.

In my case calcium levels are in the 900-1400 range but my PH is good (5.4-5.7) so I am adding Gypsum to boost calcium without affecting PH.

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Re:How do you handle a low pH situation? 13 years 2 months ago #8360

thanks for the good comments.

I will search the forums, I must admit that I had not done this before posting.

The NC dept of Ag analysis indicates the relative amounts of lime to apply and much other info that I'm still figuring out.

Do you guys have an opinion about rododendron near the gensing?

Re:How do you handle a low pH situation? 13 years 2 months ago #8363

I did a web search on \"rhododendron and allelopathy\" and got a few hits - see below:

www.amjbot.org/cgi/content/full/86/11/1597
www.warren-wilson.edu/~physics/NSS99_200...stracts-Spr-2000.htm
academic.research.microsoft.com/Paper/11655003.aspx

Below is from wikipedia on Allelopathy:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy

I think some forms of Allelopathy only affect seed germination - where others can actually harm anything that attempts to grow near.

TNhunter

Re:How do you handle a low pH situation? 13 years 2 months ago #8370

• BOYHUD17
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Give thanks to God for the sang we all love to dig
Just a quick question. Can th PH level be to high for ginseng?

Re:How do you handle a low pH situation? 13 years 2 months ago #8373

Boyhud17,
You have a lot of questions and that is a good thing. Many of your questions may be answered by scouting around on this forum by checking recent and past threads. There is a lot of good information and conversation throughout the postings in these threads. I think you would like the info and it will help answer some questions you may have and possibly provide info on things you have not thought about yet.
I use the \"Search Forum\" at the top right as well. If you have a question, for example on PH level, just type it in the box and hit the the \"Go\" button. It will bring up related threads or post for you to read within the Wildgrown.com forum
Latt

Re:How do you handle a low pH situation? 13 years 2 months ago #8376

In referanceing the articles you provided links to [thanks again!], it's useful to note that these are pretty intracate, scientific language articles. In other words, these take some time to digest.

Articles #1 & 3 are the same... and the discussion about supressing the seedling sprouts of trees and lettuce seem pretty comprehensive. I'm still reading them, to discern wether or not there's a chemical secreted as well as a \"crowding\" effect. If you skip to the inro thru to the conclusion [remember it's a studied scientific paper] there is clear language that rodo does not inhibit seedling growth more that the canopy ofr hardwoods.

Walnut trees, specifically black walnut will have a similar affect on surrounding vegetation. However it's not a \"crowding\" effect, more of a tannin release from the tree thru it's leaves and root system.

more on this later.... gotta do this pesky think called \"work\" now.

Re:How do you handle a low pH situation? 13 years 2 months ago #8422

I am growing ginseng in my backyard at a pH of 8.7 and calcium at 7000-8000. The areas that were dropped to 6.5 by adding sulfur did not do that well but where I left it alone they grow good. I can't figure out why even after multiple soil tests.
Our best sites have a pH of 5.5-6.0 with a mag.cal.ratio of ten, org.20 plus, moisture in the mod. range.

Guy

Re:How do you handle a low pH situation? 13 years 2 months ago #8428

A pH of 8? Wow, that's very alkaline! How often do you test your plots?

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 496 guests and no members online

Login