2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Best to buy from?

Best to buy from? 13 years 3 months ago #8458

Aside from the posters here on this board, who's best to buy seed/rootlets from? Service/sales, communication skills are my best measurements....

Perhaps this is to \"dicy\" a question, however... I've always been of the opinion that the only dumb question was the one you didn't ask.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Best to buy from? 13 years 3 months ago #8460

Most of the suppliers that pop up when you google Ginseng seed are are all reputable, with the exception of a few. I have bought from Glacial Gold before and have some concerns about their seed being shade grown when they say they are not(the seed were very large to be woods grown). Harding's and Hardwood's are both pretty helpful but finding someone with seed still in stock at this time is the question, and if they do, you will pay a pretty penny for them.

Hillhopper

Re:Best to buy from? 13 years 3 months ago #8466

I would reccomend Scott Persons at Tuckasegee Valley Ginseng. I have never had any problems with his seed. He is the author of the grow book every one uses: Growing and marketing ginseng, goldenseal...

Scott has always been very helpful when I have questions about growing ginseng.

Lenno

Re:Best to buy from? 13 years 3 months ago #8468

I agree,he is helpful but you pay double or more for the helpfulness

Re:Best to buy from? 13 years 3 months ago #8471

I ordered a pound of seed from wildgrown.com last week and it arrived yesterday.

The order was in and shipped on Friday 1/14. I was hoping to get it by Monday since it was a holiday and a day off work for me but they did not arrive until Tuesday (yesterday).

I emailed wildgrown.com (Mike Lee) a question or two and he responded by email and answered my questions.

The seed looked good, smelled good, looked just like the other seed I have been buying from other sources. It float tested good and the seed were not too far into the germination process (not excessivly cracked, no tails showing, just about 1/4 or 1/3 were cracked and smiling a bit).

I had to work until 4:00 yesterday but a few minutes after that I was in the woods and got one nice bed planted.

I plan to do the same again this evening, and every evening as long as the weather holds out and the ground is not frozen.

I can tell you one thing for sure - we had a good snow that stayed around for almost a week, and right after a snow melts off it a ideal time to be out planting (ground condition wise). The ground was very soft and worked nicely with nothing but my leaf rake.

TNhunter

Re:Best to buy from? 13 years 3 months ago #8473

I appreciate the advice! Thanks to all....

Re:Best to buy from? 13 years 3 months ago #8475

I got out this evening after work and got another nice bed planted. It gets dark so early now I only have about a hour and a half after work (4:00) until dark.

Looks like it is going to turn cold for a while here and may be too cold to plant for the next several days (ground frozen).

Glad I got another 1000-1200 seed planted this evening. Looks like I will have to hold off for a while and just keep my seed stored and cared for well.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Best to buy from? 13 years 3 months ago #8487

I would recommend Harding's. If you're anywhere near Maryland or Virginia, a trip to the Harding farm will super-charge your ginseng fantasies. Larry is the most knowledgable sanger I've ever talked to in-person and is generous with his advice and techniques. My first year growin', I wanted some seed but also some 3 year old rootlets to start my own seed stock bed. Larry customized my order right then and there and I left grinnin' like a jackass.

Re:Best to buy from? 13 years 3 months ago #8490

Chitalian sanger,
Went there late this past fall. Couldn't agree more. I have bought some seed from Larry for the past 4 years. Great seed germination and they are healthy plants now. I drove 4 hours one way to visit his farm. I would recommend it to anyone!
Latt

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds

Who's Online

We have 572 guests and no members online

Login