2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Spring planting

Re:Spring planting 13 years 2 months ago #8758

TNhunter,
I agree, planting and raking and walking in he woods has kept me a bit more active during the winter than normal.

I have also been walking 5 miles a day to get my Morel mushroom hunting legs in shape as I plan on hitting it hard late March and early April.

I hunt summer and fall mushrooms as well. I used to hate it when Morel mushroom season came to an end in mid to late May. So I became obsessed with hunting a variety of mushroom in the summer and fall. There is plenty of great edible mushroom varieties to hunt besides morels and I have learned the seasons for the ones I hunt. Learning how to identify other mushrooms is important. So if anyone is interested in this do your homework. Talk to old pros,get a mushroom field guide and study up on the internet. Be careful thou because about 10% of the mushroom pics on the internet are misidentified in my opinion.

Some poisonous mushrooms look just like some edible mushrooms. I can now identify over 200 different mushrooms. However there are thousands. So 200 is a small %. Furthermore, out of the 200 that I can identify I stick to about a dozen or so that I will pick and eat. These dozen or so can keep one busy thou.

So it just goes to show you even with a ton of research, I am still reluctant to eat a mushroom that I am not 100% sure about.

Then I go right into Ginseng in September as and hunt fall mushrooms at the same time. So I spend a lot of time in the woods from Late March through November with occasional Winter Ginseng seed planting beds.

I know many on here trap and hunt, so I know we all enjoy the woods and it's just good to be up and off the couch.
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds

Who's Online

We have 1288 guests and no members online

Login