2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8782

Latt

That's cool idea to have all the shade loving plants growing right in your yard.

Thanks, classicfur

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8786

Classicfur,
Yea its pretty cool. Any spot will do as long as its in the shade. I have one bed on the North Side of my house that does real well. The other beds are under Maple trees and they do great too. I have a new bed with the best soil in it. I have been dumping Mulched leaves and compost in it for over 5 years and tilling them in. This is the spot where I planted an entire pound of ginseng seed in it and a 1/4 lb of Goldenseal seed in it last fall. then I top dressed it with 2 inches of mulched maple leaves. The soil is black and so loamy. Can't wait to see how the plants comes up this spring. I am going to have to buy some 75% shade cloth and put it over the new bed thou. It gets too much sun for now. I planted some fast growing Sugar Maples to provide shade but it will take some time before they provide enough shade. I also planted some wild Paw Paw tree seeds in the bed too. Paw Paw seeds are just like Ginseng seeds. They need stratification and they cannot dry out prior to planting if anybody was interested.
Latt

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8789

Latt, I don't know if everyone feels the same way I do, but of all the tree species, I hate maple the most. Of all the things in the world I could get as a gift, my Mom gave me two little maple trees several years ago. I had to plant them so I wouldn't hurt her feelings, but I keep wishing something would kill them off. I should clarify that I only hate them in the yard and places I like to maintain. Everytime the wind blows, it seems like 100 sticks fall out of those things. Ash are just as bad, only their limbs burst into a 1000 pieces when they hit the ground. I'll get some use out of those maples some day. They're just not big enough to do a whole lot with at the moment. In case anyone can't tell, I'm really pro-pasture.

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8804

Well guys I bought the new light bulbs that Classicfur recommended last night and the ginseng went from a sickly pale looking little plant to a nice green healthy plant. This happened in 12 hours and I am amazed. The new ginseng plants even grew in size too. I know growing ginseng inside is just something to do to pass the time and is a novelty. There is no practicality in growing ginseng indoors. But it is still pretty cool to watch their progress and to see how they grow.
Here is the pic from this morning:
Attachments:

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8805

Wow that pic was blurry that I posted above. Lets see if this one is better.
Latt
Attachments:

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8815

Well the grow lights are working nicely. The ginseng leaves are unfolding. I took the tree leaves and mulched them in the blender and put them back down on top the dirt. A few of the plants that were coming up in my makeshift indoor planter were having a hard time poking through the tree leaves. So even when mulched, the leaves can be be a potential problem I guess.
This is the pic I just took below.
Latt
Attachments:

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8817

Latt

Plants are looking good. I wonder if you will get any two prong plants in your indoor planting. With two year old plants, I usually have about 25-30% that come up two prongs. And alot of five finger one prongs. And ocasionally a three prong like my avatar to the left.

Thanks,
classicfur

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 1 month ago #8819

Classicfur,
I have 11 out of 15 that are up and growing. You hit the nail on the head. It appears some are unfolding and there are just 3 leaves. One appears to be one 5 leafer and another one appears to be a 2-prong with 5 leaves on each prong. I should know more in a couple of days.

It's also interesting to see that even thou all 15 were put in the same dirt and all roots were about the same size and all will be 2 year old's they are coming up at various stages. Some have been up for a week and the others are just now emerging and some are not up at all.

This holds true for Wild or Outdoor Ginseng as I am sure all of us have noticed over the years.

Latt

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 3 weeks ago #8831

Here is a pic of one of the 2 year old's that is growing indoors in my makeshift rubber-maid planter. It has a grow light over the top and I added Aluminium foil over cardboard to 3 of the 4 sides to reflect the light back in. The open side faces the window to allow some natural light in as well. They are doing well thus far. The little two prong plant top is open and the top is no bigger than a silver dollar in size for now.
Latt
Attachments:

Re:Indoor 2 year old ginseng sprouting 13 years 3 weeks ago #8832

Last but not least, the one plant that I have been posting is finally open and it is a one prong 3 leaf plant. This is the plant that I have been posting the growth progress of.
Latt
Attachments:

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

Who's Online

We have 226 guests and no members online

Login