2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Seedlings are up

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 3 weeks ago #8996

Hillhopper

Glad to hear the Deadline pellets are working out good for you.

If slugs and snails are in the area, they won't stop eating the pellets util their dead. I have seen many huge slugs(3\" long) that ate so much that they turned a bright blue color, the same color as the pellets.

Another great thing about Deadline pellets, is that it can withstand up to seven inches of rain without falling apart. I know when you open the bag it smells kind of like Crayon's. I wonder if the pellets are held together with a waxy kind of stuff found in Crayons.

One thing I do know, is that I have killed Thousands of slugs with Deadline MP's. I would'nt waste my money on any other brand.

And you only need 3-5 pellets per sq ft. Once you have them under control, you can use less pellets per sq ft.

classicfur

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 3 weeks ago #9000

Whitjr,

To answer your question on when I planted those beds that have some early 3 leafers up.

The beds I found early birds up in - I planted some of them late last October/Early November and some in December.

I checked the beds that I planted last (Jan/Feb) and did not see any up in them, but I also checked the first bed I planted last October (using Hankins method) and did not see any up in it yet.

All of my beds are on hillsides facing North/East - some a little more north, some a little more east but I did not see any pattern to the early birds on that either.

We got a little rain today, not much. After we get a decent rain I am going to wait a day or two and check again to see if that made any more pop up.

TNhunter

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 3 weeks ago #9001

Hey Guys,

I went out just now and checked some beds I have out back real close and 3 days ago there was only one 3 leafer up and today I found 6.

Here is a few pics of some of the new ones I found up today.

This one was growing up out of a spot where the mulch had washed away.

Attachments:

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 3 weeks ago #9002

This one grew up right out of a loup in a leaf.

Attachments:

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 3 weeks ago #9003

I like how this one leaned out to get to the opening...

Attachments:

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 3 weeks ago #9004

Here is another...

Nothing showing up yet in my seed bed - all those big roots are keeping their tops under for the time being.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 3 weeks ago #9005

TNhunter

It wont be long before the seedlings start coming up by the hundreds, then thousands each day.

We had 4\" of snow on Monday and 2\" last night. 12\" total on the ground. So it will be awhile before my plants start coming up. Last year they started about April 20. But normaly it's mid May when they start emerging.

Thanks for sharing!

classicfur

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 3 weeks ago #9006

Here's an unusual four leaf seedling from last spring. I'm looking forward to see what it looks like this year. classicfur
Attachments:

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 3 weeks ago #9010

Classicfur,

I feel silly. It's been in the 70's here the last three days, and I started belly-aching because it's back down in the 40's. I know folks up in your geographic area have had some rough weather here recently, so I have to keep telling myself to just be grateful it's above freezing here at home.

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 3 weeks ago #9017

Jacquo

Yes, winters are hard and long in Maine. But Summers are glorious. Our average summer high is 76 degrees and upper 50's- 60's at night. We only have about a dozen days in the 80's.

But I could sure use a few day in the 70's right Now!

classicfur

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds

Who's Online

We have 263 guests and no members online

Login