2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Seedlings are up

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #9331

guys

The weathers finally warming up a little here in Maine. Yesterday was in the low 60's. On April 1, we got hit with a foot of snow on top of 6\" of snow on the ground.

All of my newly planted seed beds are free of snow now. And most of the snow is gone from my older root beds.

I was checking some of the seeds under the mulch yesterday. I found that most of the seeds have the tendril sticking out anywhere from 1/16\"-3/8\". A few seeds were dried up and few were crack in half and empty, like a mouse got to them.

Seeds that were planted on SouthWestern slopes are doing the best with th soil warming up from receiving plenty of sun. Seeds planted on eastern slopes are a little slower. The soil is cooler.

Here in Maine, the best spots for ginseng to grow is on south and southwest slopes. Most sang growers would say that northeast and eastern slopes are the best.

Here's something on slopes from Bob Beyfuss, that south and southwest slopes are best for growing in the far north.

Quote:
\"In the south, southeast, parts of the northeast and mid-west, slopes that face north or northeast and of 5 to 20 percent grade seem to provide optimal orientation and facilitate both air and water drainage. In the far north, for example Vermont and Maine as well as Quebec, south or southwest facing slopes are preferred.\"

Here's the rest of that article.

www.nofa.org/tnf/sp02/supplement/ginseng.php

Anyway, I think I should see some plants emerging before the end of April. I hope!

classicfur

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #9335

I just can't stand it anymore! I haven't been up to the plantings in about a month now. No idea what may be up -- dare I say it- or not up.

Arrrrrrg!

I've got plans to go up right after work tomorrow, will arrive after dark, so will inspect on Sat am. Man! You'd think that now that i'm in my late 50's, that I'd be more tolerant with not knowing, however I'm eagerly awaiting this weekend's trip.

double Arrrrrg!

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #9337

Whitjr

I hear ya! I,m up walking through my beds every day, expecting some sang to be up. And yet I know up here in the north, I have atleast another two weeks.

At 51 I'm still impatient to have them up and growing. I go through this same thing every year. And I don't seem to be getting any better with patience. It would drive me nuts if I had to drive a distance to check out my plants. Then again I have six and seven yr old roots growing in Wisconsin that I have'nt seen in two yrs. But I have a buddy check on them several times a year, and they sound like they are doing great.

They will be up soon! Hope your trip finds some seng up and growing.

classicfur

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #9339

Yes... well, being how this is my first attempt in a very big way, I am especially anxious.

The seed I put in the ground in the treeline behind my house here are not showing anything yet. dissapointing... as it's warmer here than in the mountains.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #9360

This is a little off topic, but I was emptying my pic file on my phone to make room for this years morel mushroom pics and ginseng pics. I found this pic in my phone of a wild ginseng plant I found last year while fall mushroom hunting.
This plant is not as big as Billy's Mountain sang but it was over my knee cap by at least 4 inches. Not to bad for a woods that is located in my county which is flat as a pancake. I am from the hills and the lay of the land here in my county took some getting use to.
I hope to see some pics like this from all you guys this fall.
Here she is below:
Attachments:

Re:Seedlings are up 13 years 1 week ago #9361

Outstanding picture......about 5 acres of those would be heaven.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Who's Online

We have 607 guests and no members online

Login