2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: I just order 1lbs and 25 rootlets

I just order 1lbs and 25 rootlets 15 years 5 months ago #914

• Flatheadyoungin
  • Flatheadyoungin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
We've been trying to close on 43 acres since February. Well, we finally did in October.

I have been reading as much as I can about planting and harvesting ginseng for the past 6+ months. Right after we closed, I took a quick stroll through the 30acres of woods to see if I could see any red berries so I would know if my conditions were right. I saw what I thought might have been ginseng berries but the plant was leaning over and I still not sure whether it was or not. I thought I was in prime ginseng season but I'm guessing with our VERY dry season, the leaves on that one particular plant were wilted badly and had fallen off.

Regardless, I ordered some stuff to get me started and it should be here this week. I'm going to plant some in about 10 different locations on the property and plant some of the rootlets in the same bed as the seeds. I'm going to plant some of them on one of my friend's property to see what happens in a completely different spot.

I guess I'm just experimenting this year to see if it'll grow and where.....

I have dreams of green gold, I have to admit I'm motivated by $$. However, I'm a hard worker, I love being in the woods alone, and love the idea of using my land for something productive.

I plan on adding more each year and look forward to sharing my experience/s here, and to continue reading your experience/s.

Thanks! Jeff Ohio

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:I just order 1lbs and 25 rootlets 15 years 4 months ago #919

Hi Jeff and welcome.
From what you are describing it sounds like you may have found some Jack in the Pulpit. The plant shrivels up and dies leaving just a bright red clusters of berries on top of the withered stalk. It is a very good indicator plant for ginseng, although it will grow in some spots that sang will not (wetter).
I will try this photo of one cluster I found this fall. I have found several this year that I had not seen before. Perhaps it has been a good year for the jack or maybe, I was sleeping in the past.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds

Who's Online

We have 262 guests and no members online

Login