2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: what would you do?

what would you do? 12 years 10 months ago #9980

Hey yall,

I went out today and found some nice plants, however, here's my question. I found 2 very nice 4 pronger's, up high on a hillside that had been logged off last year. I believe since the recent removal of the canopy, these plants might die. I think they are getting too much sun. Their leaves are shriveled and they are already kinda a greenish yellow color.

My question is, should i digg these plants and try to transplant them before they die? I would hate for these mature plants to die off. They have prolly sired many plants. I just think that by July, they might be gone.

Justasenging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:what would you do? 12 years 10 months ago #9982

Hmmmmm...

That would be a tough call.

The tops may suffer and die if they are getting too much sun and it sounds like they may be - but I expect the root would develop another bud and send up a top next spring.

You could just mark their exact location good (rock pile) or something like that so you could find them even if the tops die, and then dig them up after season opens in your State.

If it is not too much trouble you could check on them every now and then and see how it plays out. They might suprise you and make it until season opener. Would be nice if they could make berries one more time for you to plant before you harvest them.

Another thought - could you drag up some logs, or a cedar tree top, and sort of make some artificial shade for them ? Something that would block the evening sun would help, and also pile up some extra mulch around the bottom of the plants.

Another option...

In TN you can harvest ginseng any time as long as it is for personal use and not for resale.

You might have to check the details of the law in your state to see if that is OK. It does not show up in the bit that wildgrown has on TN laws, but it is in our law if you dig into it well enough.

I save some of the wild seng I harvest and take it 3-4 time a week. I think I have enough to last until Aug 15, but if I were to run out, I could harvest a few for my own personal consumption before season opens. The digging season in TN only applies to seng harvested for resale.

Good Luck.

TNhunter

Re:what would you do? 12 years 10 months ago #9986

TNhunter,

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what i can do. I would really like for them to make it to September. I might try to drag something next to them to give them a lil relief.

Here are some pics
Attachments:

Re:what would you do? 12 years 10 months ago #9987

another
Attachments:

Re:what would you do? 12 years 10 months ago #9989

• BOYHUD17
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Give thanks to God for the sang we all love to dig
I had the same problem the other week. A bunch of trees fell down back when we had a bunch of wind storms and dad pulled them all out with his dozer. When he did that it left complete sunlight to shine down on the plants. They were burning up horribly. about 20 were nice 4 prongs and they were just about gone. So for 'personal use' i dug them up.

I kinda wish I had thought to do what TnHunter suggested so I'de go with what he said.

Re:what would you do? 12 years 10 months ago #9991

That is some beautiful ginseng. If you are allowed to dig it to eat it yourself then it would be OK to dig it and transplant it somewhere else. I have done it and it works. Just be sure to get plenty of the soil with the root when you move it to its new spot. I recommend watering the transplanted root after you replant it and pack the soil firmly. Plant the root the same depth it was when you dug it. If you do this you will have a good chance for the plant top to survive as it normally would.

Or you can just make some shade for it like TN said and dig it this fall. Either way will work. If you are going to dig it to sell, than I would do what TN suggested and make some shade and dig it later this fall.
But that looks like some nice wild sang and I would make it one of my seed bed plants and transplant it either now or make some shade for it and transplant it this fall.
Latt

Re:what would you do? 12 years 10 months ago #9992

Justasenging

If you decide to dig them up soon with plenty of soil like Latt suggested and transplant the roots. Since it's early in the growing season, I would first dig up just one and make sure that the growth bud is developed well. If the bud is not developed well and it goes into \"transplant Shock\", it may stop the bud from completly developing and could skip coming up next spring. If the buds are well developed when you transplant, then your assured or have a better chance of it being able to come up next spring.

Good Luck!

classicfur

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

Who's Online

We have 144 guests and no members online

Login