2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Latest prices for Ginseng and other Herbs in Tennessee?

Latest prices for Ginseng and other Herbs in Tennessee? 11 years 6 months ago #20094

Does anyone have a price list or know what the current prices are that Tennessee Buyers/Dealers are paying for Ginseng and other Herbs?

Thanks!

Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Latest prices for Ginseng and other Herbs in Tennessee? 11 years 6 months ago #20095

A middle Tn dealer gave me a quote last week of $125.00 green, and $400.00 dry...thats ginseng. I don't know prices for other herbs.

Re:Latest prices for Ginseng and other Herbs in Tennessee? 11 years 6 months ago #20121

May I ask in which County(s) of TN the roots are collected in?

There are some differences in wild root character across TN. The higher elevation up and down the western slopes and foothills of the Smokies differs from the Cumberlands and that of west of Nashville. Soil type, elevation, growing season, etc..., and these factors should have an effect on the local price.

We should remember that regardless of the region we collect in the value of our personal collection will be effected by the choices we make while harvesting.

Harvesting small undersized roots from imature plants, cutting breaking and otherwise damaging roots, improper washing and curing techniques will all lead to lower price quotes in the end.

Re:Latest prices for Ginseng and other Herbs in Tennessee? 11 years 6 months ago #20133

Herbuyer wrote:

May I ask in which County(s) of TN the roots are collected in?

There are some differences in wild root character across TN. The higher elevation up and down the western slopes and foothills of the Smokies differs from the Cumberlands and that of west of Nashville. Soil type, elevation, growing season, etc..., and these factors should have an effect on the local price.

We should remember that regardless of the region we collect in the value of our personal collection will be effected by the choices we make while harvesting.

Harvesting small undersized roots from imature plants, cutting breaking and otherwise damaging roots, improper washing and curing techniques will all lead to lower price quotes in the end.

Herbuyer,

Let's just say in the foothills of the Smokies on private land and leave it at that! I learned all too well and long ago, to never give out the locations of where I find my' Ginseng. The minute you do, you will have an influx of other diggers invade your general area.

I have dug Wild American Ginseng all across East Tennessee to Northern West Virginia. I have also dug it from lower elevation hills, ridges and mountains to quite a bit over 3,000 feet and even in subdivisions in some cities. From my experience, I have seen very little difference in characteristics except size and sometimes color or shades. When digging in the lower elevations, often times the Ginseng will be growing in clay or semi-Clay soil which will turn it reddish but it will weigh much more than Ginseng growing in mountain black (rich) dirt. (Yes, it is often not wanted by Ginseng Buyers!) Also, when found growing near or amongst Pine Trees and sometimes Fir Trees, the Ginseng will also have more weight than that found in mountain black dirt but shwo very little difference otherwise. The Ginseng growing in the previous two mentioned areas, can be moved and re-planted to a more friendly environment (mountain black dirt), not only for growing but also for selling as this Ginseng will eventually eminate the characteristics of it's mountain grown kin. I am not saying that local Ginseng Buyers will or have done so but it has been my experience, that there are some Buyers that will Hee-Haw a digger by saying that their' Ginseng is too this or too that, in an attempt to purchase it at a lower price. Any Ginseng Buyer that starts degrading or talking crap about my' Ginseng, will likely go home without it!

I have been harvesting, drying and selling Ginseng off and on for some 43 years. I know probably as much if not more than you may know about Ginseng overall as well as harvesting, drying and selling! How often do you come across anyone and especially someone that is still alive that has dug everything from 3 prongs to 8 prongs, well I have! I dig nothing but 3 pronged and larger (older) plants and many times I do not dig small 3 pronged plants at all. All seeds are planted around or in the general vicinity of where the producing plant was found (i.e. sometimes I will plant them higher up on the mountain for better distribution of seeds in years to come).

Frank

Re:Latest prices for Ginseng and other Herbs in Tennessee? 11 years 6 months ago #20153

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Guys I am a buyer in Tn: green is $150.00 a pound and dry is $400.00 I buy in the Tazewell and Newport Areas.

Billy.

Re:Latest prices for Ginseng and other Herbs in Tennessee? 11 years 6 months ago #20158

Billy I contacted you several Weeks ago. I had to have surgery but the ginseng fever is more powerful then illness. Just thought I would show you the roots I will b bringing to you.

Re:Latest prices for Ginseng and other Herbs in Tennessee? 11 years 6 months ago #20159

Frank. I do not have a price list but, you can call Jennifer Collake at
423-442-3467 for a price on your sang. She didn't buy anything else at that time tho. I didn't sell last year so I hope that she's still in business.

Re:Latest prices for Ginseng and other Herbs in Tennessee? 11 years 6 months ago #20161

I don't suppose you will let me know which lake you landed those 2 bass on now would ya?

Looks as if your a well seasoned collector and I can see that you have a better than average knowledge of ginseng trates.

So as to not look as if I'm blowing my horn I will just say that I have handled a few roots in the last 39 years.

Anyway, according to your description of the roots they could be worth between 500-550 dry and 150-160 fresh with the market trending upward at this time.

Re:Latest prices for Ginseng and other Herbs in Tennessee? 11 years 6 months ago #20162

huntsman53...

Now here is a pic of my Dad from 1973 and a \"REAL NICE\" string of largemouth bass...

The top 10 weighed 79 lbs 15 oz.

He caught that string fishing by himself on a lake in west TN - said there were tornado warnings out but he just kept on fishing that day. He caught most of those within a 2 hour period.

When I was a kid growing up we ate more fish, deer, squirrel, quail, dove, etc... than we did beef, pork, chicken.

I have never seen a picture of a string of bass from TN that even came close to this one. I expect it could be the largest string of bass ever caught in the state of TN.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Latest prices for Ginseng and other Herbs in Tennessee? 11 years 6 months ago #20166

Herbuyer wrote:

I don't suppose you will let me know which lake you landed those 2 bass on now would ya?

Looks as if your a well seasoned collector and I can see that you have a better than average knowledge of ginseng trates.

So as to not look as if I'm blowing my horn I will just say that I have handled a few roots in the last 39 years.

Anyway, according to your description of the roots they could be worth between 500-550 dry and 150-160 fresh with the market trending upward at this time.

Herbuyer,

No problem! They are Hybrid Bass caught on the Cherokee Lake.

Yes, although I had breaks in between,I have done a lot of collecting in the 43 years since I was shown Ginseng! After receiving my' Draft notice in 1972, I joined the U.S. Army serving almost 5 1/2 years, then after 7 months out, I landed a job with the Federal Government which landed me in the Florida Keys for 6 years. If you read some of my' posts, you will find the story where a friend and myself dug over a bushel basket full of Ginseng from one holler and two hillsides (ridges). This place is so close to the road, that everyone thought that any Ginseng would have been dug and gone long ago. After two summers of pestering my friend for us to go look anyway, he finally relented. With broken bicycles, we walked 15 to 25 miles or more on most days (we were young Davy Crocketts) looking for Ginseng, exploring or fishing and we were coming back from fishing on this occasion. We ventured into this place and it was like Ginseng Heaven with 3 and 4 prongs everywhere and dozens of 5, 6, 7 and yes, even several 8 prongs scattered up the hillsides. I could tell you nor could I even count how many flat tops and 2 prongs there were from being in awe of everything else!

I am sure you have handled a few roots over the years and from reading your' posts, you have a great mass of knowledge of Ginseng! It is great that you are willing to share that knowledge here on the forums with amateur and expert diggers, young and old alike!

Thanks for the pricing info!

Take care, be safe and great senging!

Frank

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Who's Online

We have 172 guests and no members online

Login