2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Middle TN price

Middle TN price 11 years 5 months ago #21297

I am not in any hurry to sell mine, but did check with Glen Bradey over in Pulaski TN 931-363-4083 today and he said he was giving 600.00 right now.

He said that was down 45.00 from what he was giving a week ago.

He said it was in a little slump right now, but may go on up higher later on. Of course you never know about that.

I am going to hold out longer myself and hope for higher prices around Thanksgiving.

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Middle TN price 11 years 5 months ago #21301

You sound just like my brother. We had our seng certified this morning and headed to Canton NC. I had 5lbs 9oz and my brother had 4lbs and 4oz. I sold mine for $663 and my brother decided to hold out and take his chances on higher prices around Thanksgiving and if they don't come he will hold it till next year. I think you all just like sitting around looking at your seng seeing certain roots and remembering where you dug them. Good luck.
Mt Dan

Re:Middle TN price 11 years 5 months ago #21328

The love of roots could very well be the root of all evil.

Re:Middle TN price 11 years 5 months ago #21344

TNHunter. It's the same price here in Eastern TN as well. It's a sorry deal that I can drive 20 minutes across the state line and sell virutally the same exact sang for $100 + more than what I can here. It would be illegal and a lie so therefore I will not do it tho. It's a crying shame.

Re:Middle TN price 11 years 5 months ago #21358

Hunter --- agree with that.

Mt Dan - I do love the roots, but I always keep several nice roots to eat (enough for a years supply) and then sell the rest.

So, me selling or not selling - is not tied to the need to have some roots to see.

It is always a little tough to part with them all though, but the fact that I keep several for eating, helps that a lot.

TNhunter

Re:Middle TN price 11 years 5 months ago #21362

tnHunter,
its kind of like a double-edge sword there, i agree with you about the price rising later, the only problem with that is that the dealer may be exhausting his purchasing dollars now and may not be in a posisition to buy your ginseng when it reaches those golden amounts, i know for certain of a dealer that will just stop buying when the price gets over 600. I have known him a long time and we even had that conversation. just think about this, tenn and kentucky lead the nation in ginseng harvest, and the tenn and ken dealers have no problem filling their quotas at anything over $300lb,there are so many \"POS\" poachers out there that will sell at any price, and so many \"POS\" dealers that know this and don't have enough intregity to turn them away. I would probably sell at some point this year, it isn't likely that next years prices will even come close to this years prices even if we have another drought because next spring people will be out in the woods in full force looking for the green gold, this is sad but very true.

Re:Middle TN price 11 years 5 months ago #21363

K_duce,

I agree. It seems as though there has been plenty of seng coming in this year. When the price gets too high the buyers loose their interest. Why take a chance?

Poachers are the biggest problem we have and they will grub everything. It seems as though local law enforcement doesn't care.

I still say a 10 year age limit on seng should be in place. This would help somewhat.

rootman

Re:Middle TN price 11 years 5 months ago #21364

I agree poachers are the main problem. However the poachers around here will take the small plants and transplant them at their own place and wait for them to grow. the only real solution in my opinion is to ban harvest for several years(long enough to not make it worthwhile to try and store it) Then it would gain value and the people that just try and steal and make a quick buck will turn their attention to some other type of thieving. They should only be certain years that would be legal to harvest and sell true wild ginseng.In this area they are so many hunting it that it will become extent before the lawmakers can change things. I would hate to miss a digging season as much as anyone ,But I can always go into the woods and hunt for other plants. For me sane season is mainly a good excuse to get out in the woods and enjoy Gods creations. It is the most peace filled time of the year. Yes I only hunt legally. I will dig on my own property and break the tops off non seed bearing plants. If I did not do this to my hunting areas then they would not be any around. I've been stewarding for 15 years and still cant get over 3.lbs dry to sell in a single season.

Re:Middle TN price 11 years 5 months ago #21374

Poachers will not stop digging due to a ban as the demand will not go away and the market will go underground.
A ban will only stop the honest diggers from being able to collect and to sale legally and ethically dug roots.
We have already seen an example of this on some of our National Forest Lands.

Re:Middle TN price 11 years 5 months ago #21375

Herbuyer....I agree 100%, the only people the laws and bans will effect are the people that obey the law, the problem is not the law abiding digger/dealer. Publicly accessed lands are hard to police due to the fact people are allowed to be there. Private land is hard to police as well but there are things that can deter a wood be poacher.

About 20 years ago I seen a sign in the woods that read \"Ginseng digging at own risk land mines randomly spaced inside this fence...are you feeling lucky today?\"

SengNveins

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds

Who's Online

We have 503 guests and no members online

Login