2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: 2013 Dried Ginseng Prices?

Re:2013 Dried Ginseng Prices? 10 years 6 months ago #25385

Well, Mike has not indicated that I am not free to post pricing. However, the bare fact is that if I post pricing here, a competitor is sure to post $5 more regardless of if he is actually paying those prices.

Its best just to call and talk to your dealer, and to other folks who are selling ginseng and see what they are being paid in reality and why.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:2013 Dried Ginseng Prices? 10 years 6 months ago #25397

I wont post exact prices for the same reasons Brad posted above, but will state that it is above $700/lb. Feel free to call me for more specific pricing.

Re:2013 Dried Ginseng Prices? 10 years 6 months ago #25402

Well I may have lost out this year by selling all green, it will have to hit 1000 before I have and I think it just might this year. Maybe more?

Re:2013 Dried Ginseng Prices? 10 years 6 months ago #25416

I honestly don't think so Rickyc. Most of the green prices have been higher this year than most. Guys who are selling green are doing ok in this part of the country.

Right now, there doesn't seem to be any push to get prices higher. No one knows what could or might happen, but the information I have is that there seems to be a line at which the international buyers/brokers are not willing to cross and continue to buy.

Re:2013 Dried Ginseng Prices? 10 years 6 months ago #25419

Brad,
I think you're right. From what I've been hearing I wouldn't want to get caught with a lot of high price poundage toward the end of Oct.

Re:2013 Dried Ginseng Prices? 10 years 6 months ago #25707

GILLOGLYS & SONS, INC

ZANESVILLE, OH

740.252.6947 740.849.2587

Dealer lots welcomed, give me a call

PAYING $800-$825 FOR DRY WILD GINSENG

PAYING $185-$200 FOR GREEN WILD GINSENG

PRICES COULD VARY UP OR DOWN DEPENDING ON THE QUALITY AND SIZE OF ROOTS YOU HAVE

Re:2013 Dried Ginseng Prices? 10 years 6 months ago #25737

Folks,

Myself and some of the other buyers who are regulars here have avoided posting specific prices for the reasons we've outlined.

Fact is, I started the season paying about $700/lb for nicer stuff when most of my Ohio competition was still unwilling to break $600. The market has advanced and I've advanced the prices I pay with it. For a few weeks now, I've been telling folks who call that the price starts around $750/lb and goes up or down from there. In reality, I've been paying around $220-230/lb green and OVER $800/lb for nicer lots dry.

Lets review what it takes to have nicer lots of dry ginseng. Large, bulby, well handled (dug without damage and intact, not dried in the sun or your car, and not broken up) without a bunch of damaged or small roots in the lot, not washed too clean or left with dirt on them. The more small or pencil roots in the lot the lower your price will be. Likewise, the more large bulby, corky (light weight and less dense) well handled roots in your collection the more I will pay.

I am still concerned that there is a breaking price at which the market will correct down, and if we keep inching up we will get there very soon.

I've been paying more than the majority of the dealers in the state all year. I see no reason to change that now. However, because I do not want to push the prices to the breaking point, I will still refrain from posting prices. Just trust me, I'll buy the better lots of Ohio ginseng at prices as high or higher than anyone in the state.

Just give me a call before you sell and let me take a look at your lot to see how much it is really worth before taking it to my competition.

I'm still buying at Woodland Outdoors near Freeport and Tippecanoe every week, so some of you may wish to meet me there rather than driving all the way to me.

I'll still buying better collections of bloodroot and goldenseal also.

Re:2013 Dried Ginseng Prices? 10 years 6 months ago #25740

BCastle is correct on the price sometimes depends on how you handle your ginseng.You can be digging the best ginseng from the best sections of your area and just kill your price by not handling it correctly.
Remember that you are selling a produce product and appearance can cut your price 10% or more. The other factor is quality of the roots such as ..size, color,density weight, age,shape and character.
In WV we have about four distinct sections of types of ginseng quality. Usually there is about $30.00 per lb.from the best section to the worst. This year that spread in widening to more Iike a $50.00 spread...WV is running $775.00 for KY type and $825.00 for the central mountain section on average...at this time ! ..Coffman's Metals in Birch River , WV

Re:2013 Dried Ginseng Prices? 10 years 6 months ago #25741

ive been listening to your posts and others on handling and quality of my roots but the truth is it has never been a issue around here seems like the guy I have been selling to dosent care.even though my stuff is bigger seng and well handled it has never been mentioned to me.so how does he not loose money on it if he buys lesser quality stuff.for instance I know a guy who digs nothing but huge mountain seng but digs with a stick but never gets docked so why should I care.not being smart just curious.

Re:2013 Dried Ginseng Prices? 10 years 6 months ago #25745

• bellco ky
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • digging sein and making memories! ahh good times
chicks dig it wrote:

ive been listening to your posts and others on handling and quality of my roots but the truth is it has never been a issue around here seems like the guy I have been selling to dosent care.even though my stuff is bigger seng and well handled it has never been mentioned to me.so how does he not loose money on it if he buys lesser quality stuff.for instance I know a guy who digs nothing but huge mountain seng but digs with a stick but never gets docked so why should I care.not being smart just curious.

same thing I was wondering. Got a buddy his seng looks like he chewed on it. And he gets same price as myself , I was taught to dig it and be careful ,take my time. He just tears it up!

Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

Who's Online

We have 575 guests and no members online

Login