2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Indiana Prices

Indiana Prices 10 years 7 months ago #24940

Getting price ranges of $550-$600 currently in Indiana and they are still climbing. The consensus is that once the Chinese start figuring out that their was a good yield this year that the price will begin to stabilize & highly likely drop by mid-late October. ( What's everyone else hearing?) We should have around 13-14lbs or so once all of ours is dried. Hoping to find another couple pounds before its gone but its 70-80% yellow here now in most locations. Good Luck Hunting All!!
Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Indiana Prices 10 years 6 months ago #25235

quoted $700lbs on over 12lbs dried so far.

Re:Indiana Prices 10 years 6 months ago #25240

Wow!!! 12 lbs dry. That's a lot of seng. Must be some great spots in Indiana.
Latt

Re:Indiana Prices 10 years 6 months ago #25241

Latt wrote:

Wow!!! 12 lbs dry. That's a lot of seng. Must be some great spots in Indiana.
Latt

We will actually have about 15.5lbs once it all dries if my wet weight figures are correct I believe. 1/2 is mine and the other half is my sons and between the 2 of us we have about 250-300 man hours of hunting in Sept. this year. We' pulled out of the woods for the last hunt last Thursday when I checked my 2 tests plots and of the 100 diggable plants that were in the test plotts only 6 stems or plants could be found. Thing that helps us keep ours a continuing basis most is we ALWAYS plant 10 seeds for every root dug + extra seeds during the hunt ( Over 5lbs planted this year of seed 2lbs of which came directly from the good folks here at wild grown plus another 850 1year old & 400 2year old transplants accomplished ), we have around 1200 acres of ground that we have exclusive rights on and we broke this into 5 sections and we only hunt 1 section a year. Some years we hit 25-30lbs others its 10-15lbs just depends on the weather, time allotted to go out and how many years I've been stewarding on that section of land. The land I've been doing for 30+ years always gives up about 25-30lbs except for in 2000 we only got just over 20lbs but it was also the 1st year I let my son who was 11 then begin to hunt with me to teach him the craft as it was handed to me. The back breaking part is the 4 sections we don't hunt each year we go through starting in mid august and try to cover every plant that's visible to keep poachers away by laying them over if big and covering with leaves or brush to hide and plucking off every 1 or 2 prong that's not seeding.
You guys in the other states have it made as there is no longer any hunting of Ginseng on Federal OR State land in Indiana.
Paul

Re:Indiana Prices 10 years 6 months ago #25244

That is great the way you are planting these areas. How old do you let the seeds you plant get before they are dug and do they look wild like the others in the area?

Re:Indiana Prices 10 years 6 months ago #25245

We try not to harvest anything with less than 10 scars on the neck, and the roots are definitely wild looking as we do not use raised beds, till or fertilize the seeds we plant. My preferred method is on rich loamy soil and I just shove the seed down into to the ground with my finger to the first knuckle then push dirt tight with hand or foot when walking up and down the hills, when we've dug a root we rake a trench 2-3' long and put a row of seeds, cover and tamp down. Its proven effective for us. If and when we accidently have a neck break near the top of it when digging we replant the top of neck as long as next years bud is undamaged as we've found they'll root back and begin growing again.
Love the woods and they'll love you back.
Paul

Re:Indiana Prices 10 years 6 months ago #25408

Sold 15.5lbs dried exactly got me and my son $12,000.00 to split this year. That's $774.18lbs
Most buyers including who we sold to are around $650-$700 for good roots in small to average lot sizes. We got a premium due to big old roots in large quantity properly dug, cleaned and air dried with fans.
Hope everyone has a stellular year and make sure to put extra seed down as you dig to keep this a sustainable venture for future generations. I've a son and several grandsons all learning the craft. My youngest grand son who just turned 1 already says Ginseng clearly and every time he sees it says ginseng until he gets a fresh or dried root portion to chomp on. So I think I even have our youngest member started off right.
My RA ( Rheumatoid Arthritis ) really caused me a lot of problems this year so I'm REALLY Thankful I was able to get what I could. I just hope my meds finally get it under control as I had hoped to be doing this into my 60's but because the daily pain is bad enough without digging and horrible at times when digging I'm realizing I most likely won't be able to by my 60's. Blessed hunting all and don't forget that prayer to the lord before you head out he's what made it all possible.
Paul

Re:Indiana Prices 10 years 6 months ago #25410

GMCPaul,

Congrats on your dig and yes to love nature and God for making it possible.

Re:Indiana Prices 10 years 6 months ago #25411

GMCPaul,

Congrats on your dig and yes to love nature and God for making it possible.

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds

Who's Online

We have 441 guests and no members online

Login