2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Early and illegal selling of fresh roots on eBay!

Early and illegal selling of fresh roots on eBay! 9 years 7 months ago #29741

No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationDue to some of the topics and posts on Wildgrown lately, I decided to see if there were any early and illegal selling of fresh Ginseng roots ongoing on eBay. Well, as in past years, the answer is yes. The State with the earliest Ginseng harvesting season is Vermont which opens tomorrow August 20th, Illinois' season opens on the 30th and for all other states, the seasons open on September 1st. While Ginseng season opens in these states on their' scheduled dates, the selling and buying of Ginseng roots is usually a week to two weeks later in many of the states. However, I found one auction on eBay with fresh Ginseng roots that is ongoing but many more that have already closed and the roots sold. This is way earlier than the states and I believe that the Federal Laws allow and it is certain that none of these roots have been certified within the states where they were dug. I would not want to be in the shoes of these Sellers when Law Enforcement comes knocking at their' doors! I have included a few links below but they are currently 60 closed auctions where the Ginseng roots up for auction, sold.

Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Early and illegal selling of fresh roots on eBay! 9 years 7 months ago #29748

Frank...yes this is VERY upsetting to all of the HONEST diggers out there and i have contacted ebay yrs. ago when i noticed people selling out of season. They get MANY complaints concerning this. I am assuming that these people are digging on their own private property (I HOPE) perhaps some of these people are in an area with a POOR economy and they are doing this to feed their children...again (I HOPE) last month i sent a digger a message who was selling on ebay and he was a friend of one of the moderators that run this site, he made me feel bad because he told me he was doing to to feed and cloth his babies? was this true ?? I am new on the site as of yesterday and left you a message on those beautiful large mouth...nice fish :) i live in vermont and i have never ONCE dug shang until the first week in sept. as many or half of the plants seed are still green, Every state should have their opening season sept. 1st i have been growing and digging shang for over 40 yrs. and now a days if you want to find really GREAT old shang i have to venture off 3-5 miles over 2 mountain ranges to find them. AS you know due to unethical practices for over 300 yrs. statistically less and less true wild is coming out of our woods. I have seen for the last 30 yrs. fresh roots are being exported to asia in mass numbers!! this i find more ALARMING then the people selling it out of season on ebay?? You do know what this means for the not so far future of our beloved wild american shang. I work with people in the cooperative extensions in 3 states and you will all be shocked to see what is going to happen in the next 10-15 yrs. to the whole ginseng trade here in america....hold on to your hats gentleman...and start growing your own if you can :)

Re:Early and illegal selling of fresh roots on eBay! 9 years 7 months ago #29749

One thing i find more alarming are the dealers that buy shang starting in the second week of may when it comes up here in the northern states. One of my old shang buyers was arrested a few yrs. ago for this. I personally know some digger down in bell county kentucky who buys illegally....these are the people who really hurt the market and future survival of the plant...this is way more alarming to me!! I understand the cause and effect as again, these areas have an extremely poor economy, so supply and demand keep these illegal practices going on....to feed their families they say....god bless them :)

Re:Early and illegal selling of fresh roots on eBay! 9 years 7 months ago #29752

Well, on the direction of future regulations... If you have any info and can share it, tell us more

Re:Early and illegal selling of fresh roots on eBay! 9 years 7 months ago #29763

Well, Hillhopper My name is Gary and i am new here on wild grown and where i come from i was raised to properly introduce myself to others and not just ask something of someone in a demanding tone....I am not sure if i am going to like this site?? If you look at how huntsman and i opened up to one another, i consider that proper educate and decorum. Maybe i am just getting sensitive in my old age of 50. Now we have been properly introduced :) I wish you well this upcoming shang season, be safe and good luck this yr.

Re:Early and illegal selling of fresh roots on eBay! 9 years 7 months ago #29764

Vermontshang wrote:

Well, Hillhopper My name is Gary and i am new here on wild grown and where i come from i was raised to properly introduce myself to others and not just ask something of someone in a demanding tone....I am not sure if i am going to like this site?? If you look at how huntsman and i opened up to one another, i consider that proper educate and decorum. Maybe i am just getting sensitive in my old age of 50. Now we have been properly introduced :) I wish you well this upcoming shang season, be safe and good luck this yr.

Gary,

I know for sure that Hillhopper meant nothing by not being cordial! Most conversing here is less cordial and as if we have known each other our whole lives. Hillhopper is a great guy with a wealth of knowledge and experience and is always helpful to others. I would also like to know what you may have heard through whatever channels you have to the AG folks about what is coming down in 10 to 15 years. I suspect a total ban on harvesting wild Ginseng and a tightening of the screws on anyone who grows, buys and sells Ginseng.

Frank

Re:Early and illegal selling of fresh roots on eBay! 9 years 7 months ago #29765

What in the world was that vermontshang, are you joking with hillhopper or what?

Re:Early and illegal selling of fresh roots on eBay! 9 years 7 months ago #29766

Vermontshang,
Ill be honest, you have rocked me back on my heals a little here with your response. I have reread my post several times now and I don't see how you could have taken it wrong. Was it because I used the word \"well\" at the start of my sentence? Was it due to a liberal use of periods at the end of that sentence? Was it because I said, \"if you had any info and CAN share it, tell us more.\" I had no intentions of disrespect.

I found your post interesting and you sounded like you knew what you were saying about something that would interest me as much as it did you. If you want to know the truth, I was actually taking a late lunch under a shade tree when I checked the forum today and after checking your info I was going to email you but it wasn't listed. After going through that process I didn't have much time to post a comment before I needed to get back to my work. Therefore, I left a short post due to a lack of time.

I know how things can be misunderstood in txt and type and I hate that you took it the wrong way but after your reply that is VERY easily understood you will come up empty handed as far as apologies are concerned.

So Gary, My forum name is Hillhopper. My true name is only divulged to my friends Iv spoken here with over the phone due to me growing Ginseng in my woods that I care for. I have been here for several years enjoying this forum and it's light hearted comradery with friends who have interests such as I. I always long for the first cold autumn breeze because my living is earned in summer's heat. I love God,Family,Life,Nature and Ginseng (in that order). In my life I have seen many over-sensitive smart mouth types and up until recently, I thought I had to be married to one to experience such.

Now Sir, we have both been officially and properly introduced.

Hillhopper

Re:Early and illegal selling of fresh roots on eBay! 9 years 7 months ago #29768

...And thank you, Lenno and Frank. Your words didn't go unnoticed, I appreciate it.

Re:Early and illegal selling of fresh roots on eBay! 9 years 7 months ago #29769

Hillhopper wrote:

...And thank you, Lenno and Frank. Your words didn't go unnoticed, I appreciate it.

Hillhopper,

No thanks necessary! Your reputation precedes you here on Wildgrown! Your knowledge, experience, advice, stories and help are great assets here on Wildgrown and Gary and others will understand this if they decide to hang around and read the many Threads and posts that you have contributed to on these forums. I believe that this was just a simple mis-understanding which can often happen in forums and sites with messaging and hopefully, mis-understandings will turn to understandings and any hurt feelings will be soothed. Maybe things are too laid back here on the Wildgrown forums! However, I think not due to the many members that have joined and stay, those who just peruse the Threads and posts but never join and the amount of comments I receive of what a great site and great forums.

Frank

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Who's Online

We have 149 guests and no members online

Login