2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Honest opinions,Would you keep these fresh or dry em

Honest opinions,Would you keep these fresh or dry em 9 years 6 months ago #30805

In your honest opinion would you replant these for seed production or dry and sell them ,or keep them fresh and sell later for green?I am allways learning and Just want to see what anyone else would do. My state is NC.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Honest opinions,Would you keep these fresh or dry em 9 years 6 months ago #30807

With those long necks on them you should be getting offers from people on this board, thats what everyone seems to want to pay the most for. My rule for transplanting is same day if i can then same hour, so i would be hesitant to try to replant them, keep them fresh for as long as you can and if you dont get the offer you want then you have the option to dry them. but they seem to have reached a age now where you should be getting a premium price now, so growing for a couple more years isnt going to make them much more valuable.

Re:Honest opinions,Would you keep these fresh or dry em 9 years 6 months ago #30815

Hi Wise1,

Short answer: I'd transplant the younger ones (anything under 10), and sell the rest fresh.

Beautiful roots! That's what I would call a premium lot. NC roots seem to bring top prices, and those are exceptional roots. I don't know what your local dealers pay on avg, but I have to imagine they will pay a premium for those. Don't be afraid to walk out if you don't get the price you want. Once they see you're serious, I'm sure they won't let you walk away with roots like that. Congratulations!

John

p.s. Can you post some pics of the really old ones individually? If not, no problem, I just want to get an idea of their age.

Re:Honest opinions,Would you keep these fresh or dry em 9 years 6 months ago #30825

30+ years on the root in the lower right corner of the bill.

Re:Honest opinions,Would you keep these fresh or dry em 9 years 6 months ago #30832

Nice. I suspect you will do well with that lot either way you decide to go.

Re:Honest opinions,Would you keep these fresh or dry em 9 years 6 months ago #30835

I agree with you on the transplanting. I dug these in less than a hour,it came a downpour.So it was cool damp weather.I placed them in the fridge for now.I never expected to find any on that trip. Everyone and their brother has hunted that property for years.The Fellow told me doubt you find any but go ahead and try.He said four others had been in their this year.They must be blind of just missed that spot,I shall return.

Re:Honest opinions,Would you keep these fresh or dry em 9 years 6 months ago #30848

Nice well dug and cared for roots! You should do well either way you go. However, I think that if you were to dry them that will give you the option of waiting till the price goes up later in the season. Keeping them green and fresh can be a problem sometimes if you do not check them every day.

Re:Honest opinions,Would you keep these fresh or dry em 9 years 6 months ago #30878

I would really be interested in these. Please email or call me 503 931 3738 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:Honest opinions,Would you keep these fresh or dry em 9 years 6 months ago #30964

My honest opinion regarding \"Honest opinions,Would you keep these fresh or dry em\"
Honestly my opinion changes with the change in the markets.
Currently the local NC \"Fresh market\" a small yet growing niche produce market is stronger and higher than that of an equivalent 3.5:1 ratio in the traditional wholesale dry market.
However the supply lines will soon fill and the bulk of the NC average 4-5 ton dry production will need to be supported and absorbed into an already saturated dry marketplace.
The roots you have chosen to display in your photo are indeed above average age and quality (without flaw or damage) however they are not representative of the overall average age and quality of the material offered for sale by the average NC 'sang digger.
My guess is you have other smaller and younger roots collected or to be collected that you intend to offer for a sale either mixed in or separated from these on display as it is legal to collect and sale any root with a minimum of 4 buds scars and a bud and regrettably most diggers do not leave these specimens in the forest around these parts. Hopefully you only collect mature plants as you have shown us and for that you should be compensated fairly. Thanks for sharing your photo on the forum and I wish you much success in your harvest.

Re:Honest opinions,Would you keep these fresh or dry em 9 years 6 months ago #31068

You are correct Herbbuyer,The smaller roots that I have Have are in the drying process already. I have been attempting to grow wild simulated for around 15 years now and I have several small 6 to 15 year old roots in my lot .I have been toping them early for so many years to protect them it has apparently stunted their growth.lol.Here is some photos of my other sane.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds

Who's Online

We have 515 guests and no members online

Login