2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hair roots

Hair roots 9 years 5 months ago #32524

I'm new to the site but have been digging for 5 or 6 years. I always sold to my local furbuyer . They always just put everything thing on the scale and just got what I got. I don't dig a lot so I always take my time and work to get every little root I can. My question is , Is it worth my while to take it to one of the buyers that are more in tune for quality ???

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Hair roots 9 years 5 months ago #32527

Good question DS.

The market overall is moving toward quality over quantity. There certainly is a demand for the average run of the mill commercial quality root. However, the higher money everyone is looking to get comes from the higher market (which doesn't get ground up). Therefore, keeping the entire root intact when digging and throughout its handling is very important. Handling is a big issue. Don't rush or skimp on this as it can make beautiful root poor in quality.

With that in mind, the question to take your root to someone who is more in tune to the modern ginseng market is very appropriate especially in a year as rough as this one is shaping up to be.

The best advice I can give you is to do some homework. My phone has been burning up the past few weeks and I'm sure other dealers' have also. So call them. Ask what they are looking for and make an educated -and realistic- estimation about how close you come to their ideal. Sometimes you might not come out far enough to justify the drive or the time. Sometimes you will do much better selling high quality root to a more sophisticated buyer. The reverse is also true. If you bring low quality or mishandled root to a sophisticated buyer, you are likely to get less.

Good luck!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds

Who's Online

We have 119 guests and no members online

Login