2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Selling to out of state dealer

Selling to out of state dealer 13 years 1 week ago #8925

Hi, I am very very new in this ginseng world (I have not started yet, but plan on going hunting this fall) and I just had some questions;

I live in New York, some of the only ginseng dealers in New York I have found are in New York City, (too far, and not a place I like to be), what would I have to do to sell it to a dealer in PA or OH instead. Also does anyone know any dealers in or close to western New York?

Now don't get all worried, as I have said I do not have any to sell, as I am just starting out.

I am not trying to ask people what their profits are but feel free to share, does anyone make a substantial amount of income off their ginseng? And how long has it taken to get a good return.

Thanks so much!
alarson

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Selling to out of state dealer 13 years 1 week ago #8936

alarson7

Here is the link for New York Ginseng Regulations. Click on 6 NYCRR 193.4-193.8 whick gives the details.

www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7130.html

It looks like, in order to sell/export roots out of state, you would need a dealers license. I could not find the cost on that.

classicfur

Re:Selling to out of state dealer 13 years 1 week ago #8938

alarson,

Some dealers that are near state lines will have a license in their home state and also the near by state so they can buy in both.

If you find a reputable dealer in PA or OH you might give him a call and talk to him and see if he comes over into NY to buy.

On profits...

On Wild Ginseng the price varies from year to year, this year we sold our wild seng for 700.00 per pound, last year we got 380.00 per pound.

Depending on how much I get to go I usually end up with between 3 & 5 pounds of dry.

I actually take vacation days off work so I can go but now I can't make near as much digging seng as I do at my job (unless it was a very very good seng day) but I sure do love to get out and hunt seng. It's fun, great exercise, and well you do make some cash at it too.

On wild simulate seng planting profits...

I don't have any harvest experience on that yet, I just started planting this fall. I planted 3.7 lbs of seed and there is around 7000 seeds per pound.

It takes me around 6 hours to plant a pound of seed (all by myself) and I don't get in any big hurry on that. A young fellow, in a hurry could probably cut that time in half.

Per Scotts book (if planting in good locations) for every pound of seed you plant you should harvest around 7 lbs of dry seng. But now it is not a quick crop - takes 7-10 years to reach a decent maturity for harvest size.

I am not a serious grower by any means, mostly doing it for fun and hope to have a little extra income in retirement (12-13 years from now).

If that 3.7 lbs of seed I planted does make 25.9 lbs of dry root in 10 years, I will sure be happy, especially if it brought the price of what we sold this year.

25.9 x 700.00 = 18,130.00

That would send me and my sweetie on a nice vacation and then some :-)

PS = I think around 350.00/lb is more like the average price for wild seng so you would be better off using that for serious estimates.

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Re:Selling to out of state dealer 13 years 1 week ago #8940

alarson,dale smith,1306 barnum rd.eldred pa. 16731 buys ny and pa ginseng phone 814 225 3452

Re:Selling to out of state dealer 13 years 1 week ago #8941

alarson,dale smith,1306 barnum rd.eldred pa. 16731 buys ny and pa ginseng phone 814 225 3452

Re:Selling to out of state dealer 13 years 1 week ago #8942

Thanks so much for the quick replies guys!

Now I have another question, I live in NY but five minutes away from the PA border and my grandpa lives down there, I plan on hunting his land, do I just take that ginseng home even though it is out of state, or do I have to keep it in that state and sell it there someway?

Re:Selling to out of state dealer 13 years 1 week ago #8943

Thanks so much for the quick replies guys!

Now I have another question, I live in NY but five minutes away from the PA border and my grandpa lives down there, I plan on hunting his land, do I just take that ginseng home even though it is out of state, or do I have to keep it in that state and sell it there someway?

Re:Selling to out of state dealer 13 years 4 days ago #8991

The numbers make you smile, when you think of $ signs.

Like TN was calculating out and is spoken about in Persons book. You could average 7 lbs of dried roots for every pound of seeds planted.

But the sad part is that it takes about 285-300 roots to equal 1 lb(pg 92 in Persons book). So seven pounds of roots from 1 lb of seed planted would equal about 2100 roots. So if you had 7000 seeds per pound planted, that would mean that 4900 seeds never make it to harvest time. Or less than 30% make it to maturity.

So you can plan on losing alot of plants over a 7-10 year period, from planting time to harvest.

The numbers are staggering!

classicfur

Re:Selling to out of state dealer 13 years 4 days ago #8995

It is a shame that 70% typically dies off to natural causes such as animals, insects as well disease sometimes. I know we would all agree the 30% that do survive is well worth it considering the cost of the seed verses the amount of dried root we should get per lb after 10 years. It is still a great \"Get Rich Slow Scheme\" depending on each individuals goals with the amount of seed planted. I know some are planting for future college funds, some for added retirement and some for a possible job income replacement.
Latt

Re:Selling to out of state dealer 12 years 10 months ago #9863

The other factor to take into consideration is that those plants will also produce seeds of their own, which can also be replanted, so maybe not the big 70% loss, in the long run.
Seeker

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 141 guests and no members online

Login