2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: long neck seng

long neck seng 10 years 5 months ago #25560

I just kept going and going....The 2 hair roots are about 14 to 15in. long. I didn't think I was gonna get it without damage but I did.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:long neck seng 10 years 5 months ago #25561

Holy smoke, How many years old did it turn out to be approximately? That is one of the longest root necks I have seen for a root that size. I bet it was well over 50 years old.
Thanks,
Dave

Re:long neck seng 10 years 5 months ago #25562

Dave I got about 44yr. It's hard to count down low on it. I bet I spent 15min or longer getting it out of the ground. Dug him yesterday on a long trip.

Does one like this have a special value?

Re:long neck seng 10 years 5 months ago #25563

I am not a ginseng buyer but I would think it would add value to your bunch when its time to sell.
Good luck,
Latt

Re:long neck seng 10 years 5 months ago #25564

i bet you were smiling the whole 15 minutes. good dig

Re:long neck seng 10 years 5 months ago #25566

I would have been smiling the first 5 min's then the next 10 would have been nerve wrecking. rick you could have been a surgeon.

Re:long neck seng 10 years 5 months ago #25568

Wow that is a long one.

Good job of digging too and no doubt took some patience to get that all out.

What kind of location was it in ?

I found one a few years back, at the bottom of a bluff that had a long neck like that. It was deep and between some rocks and I could not get the root hair - hated that.

All I could count on it was 35 flats. As you get down closer to the main root the flats sort of dissapear.

I sort of expect that when a root is in a location like that, where soil is constantly sliding down hill and accumulating that the root neck may grow longer. I have seen them with 35 flats on them that had a lot shorter neck than this one did.

Just wondering if yours may have been in a location like that.

Below is what mine looked like.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:long neck seng 10 years 5 months ago #25571

The smiles turned to nerves pretty quick being between 2 logs it was tough.

TN that was the only one that was so deep out of over a pound of seng we found. I don't know what caused it, no logging road or cliffs.

I have sold all my seng green this yr to only a couple individuals and that is why I asked about value. May have to go the fleabay route with this one.

Re:long neck seng 10 years 5 months ago #25574

• bellco ky
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • digging sein and making memories! ahh good times
TNhunter wrote:

Wow that is a long one.

Good job of digging too and no doubt took some patience to get that all out.

What kind of location was it in ?

I found one a few years back, at the bottom of a bluff that had a long neck like that. It was deep and between some rocks and I could not get the root hair - hated that.

All I could count on it was 35 flats. As you get down closer to the main root the flats sort of dissapear.

I sort of expect that when a root is in a location like that, where soil is constantly sliding down hill and accumulating that the root neck may grow longer. I have seen them with 35 flats on them that had a lot shorter neck than this one did.

Just wondering if yours may have been in a location like that.

Below is what mine looked like.

TNhunter

wow ! What an acoil ! Nice tnhunter

Re:long neck seng 10 years 5 months ago #25597

Man Ricky, you are finding all kinds of big and long-necked roots! What is your secret?

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 968 guests and no members online

Login