2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Aaaaahhh!

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #29997

Thanks TN!I know what you mean about there red. I have to admit I did find a few that way yesterday. My back is sore today just from going on some relatively flat ground yesterday. I'll keep going but I guess I'll just have to settle with a small amount of seng.

Good luck all!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #29998

Not sure how this will show up on here but here is an xray of my back. Look at all the broken ribs on the left. 2 of them are non union and will not heal!

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #30000

Maya,
I sure hate to hear that you've done that much damage to your body. I certainly know the feeling. I've had two accidents that did similar damage and I thought at the time that I was finished for ever. The first was an ATV accident that turned over right on top of me and it broke several ribs. The second was a car accident. I wasn't hurt from the accident, but the air bag deployed and completely knocked me senseless. It broke my whole chest cavity. I could not breathe properly for weeks or bend in any directions. They could not even set either of the fractures. I just had to tough it. To my surprise, they both healed
and I have not had any problems from them. I hope that you will keep on healing just as mine did.
Now to get to the serious side. :laugh: Those roots were really dug well. My compliments on such a fine digging job. I hope you get to make some more productive trips this Fall.
Hugh

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #30003

Maya, thought I should let ya know I got 450 a pound this year all ready. Sold 3 pounds made 1380. Its gunna be a good year for the diggers!

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #30005

obviously are talking green

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #30007

vthunter wrote:

obviously are talking green

That is what I am wondering about as well! Man, that equates to $1,350 for dried at a 3 to 1 ratio! We could only dream of those kind of prices down here in Tennessee.

Frank

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #30008

Maya,

Congrats on some really nice roots and great digging of them! I am also glad that you were able to get out and dig some roots and enjoy what Mother Nature has to offer! I have also been dealing with back problems ever since suffering an injury to my' lower back in AIT in the U.S. Army at Fort Dix, NJ in 1973. My' pelvis was knocked out of place and since the Army Docs diagnosed everything but that, I never got any help until after I got out on March 30, 1978. I visited a Chiropractor in June of 1978 and he was the one that found that the left side of my' pelvis was higher than the right side of my' pelvis which caused me to walk in a slant. An Orthopedic Surgeon I visted in Knoxville, TN in 1974 while on leave, diagnosed the problem as my' left leg being shorter than my' right leg and recommended build-ups on all of my' left boots and low quarters. Although the Chiropractor was able to re-align my' pelvis, it continued to slip in and out of alignment and the main damage had already been done. Life and my activities since, have not helped it either and now at 61 years of age, it is getting much harder for me to sometimes even do some simple tasks and especially climb mountains. I have found that sometimes just getting out and walking in the hills, helps re-align the disks in my' back and sometimes it has made it worse. Currently, my' back is a little better after being out for close to a month and I am hoping that it will get even better come Monday, opening day of Ginseng Season here. If everything works out between me and the property owner, I will be hunting and digging Ginseng on his' 35 acres some 140 miles from here on Monday.

Frank

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #30026

Hugh Hartsell wrote:

Maya,
I sure hate to hear that you've done that much damage to your body. I certainly know the feeling. I've had two accidents that did similar damage and I thought at the time that I was finished for ever. The first was an ATV accident that turned over right on top of me and it broke several ribs. The second was a car accident. I wasn't hurt from the accident, but the air bag deployed and completely knocked me senseless. It broke my whole chest cavity. I could not breathe properly for weeks or bend in any directions. They could not even set either of the fractures. I just had to tough it. To my surprise, they both healed
and I have not had any problems from them. I hope that you will keep on healing just as mine did.
Now to get to the serious side. :laugh: Those roots were really dug well. My compliments on such a fine digging job. I hope you get to make some more productive trips this Fall.
Hugh

Thanks Hugh. The problem with my ribs are that 2 of the 6 did not heal, almost 2 years later! They were also broke about 2-3\" away from my spine. I couldn't post the xray but picture this... I broke 5 vertibraes, and 2-3\" over from the broken vertabraes are 6 ribs broke in a straight line. If that is not bad enough the two non union ribs are broke, separated and crossed! I suspect that do to the crosed ribs they are putting some pressure on my spine. No help so far with the Dr's.

They look so bad the the lady that took my last xray said, \"OMG\" when she checked to make sure the pictures came out ok! I'm sure she has seen plenty of broken ribs. I didn't suspect that exclamation from her.

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #30027

Wow, I hope we see $1300 dry prices.

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #30038

Maya,

With that amount of damage and broken ribs, I wonder how you can get out at all! I am sure that your Doctor or Doctors would advise against it, if they knew what you were doing! Broken ribs can shift inward or outward and damage or pierce the diaphragm, pierce the muscles and skin or even a vital organ depending upon where the break is and the severity of it. I had a rib out of place in the upper middle portion of my' back for nearly three years which caused me bad bouts of pain over the years and at times, it was even hard to breath. My friend who is a retired Chiropractor and the only person I know of that can realign a rib, was finally able to get my' rib back into place. It took three months to do so, since I don't like to bother him much about my pains and also because the rib had been out of place so long, that the muscles and tissues had somewhat modified themselves to accomodate this new position of the out of place rib. When my friend was finally able to get my' rib back in place, you should have heard it. Although the rib did not break, it was loud and sounded like a clean break of the rib but the relief was almost instantaneous and I was finally able to move and breath again without severe pain. Being one of a very few people that know how to realign a rib, my friend teaches the techniques to accomplish the realignments to practicing Chiropractors and others.

Since I do understand the severity of your injuries and the risks you take just to get out, I hope that you will be very careful when out Ginseng hunting and digging or just doing much of anything that requires walking, climbing hills or ridges, lifting anything and even bending over. With your broken ribs, it may only take one or more bad falls and life as you know it, could completely and severely changed. Although the repairs would be costly, you need a top notch Orthopedic Surgeon that can repair the breaks and with enough recovery/healing time, that you will be back to or closer to normal in health and not be at risk of another severe injury if you happened to fall. More than likely, your' broken ribs will require that they be permanently pinned and have bone grafts done on each one that is broke.

Good luck, be careful and safe!

Frank

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Who's Online

We have 572 guests and no members online

Login