2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Aaaaahhh!

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #31225

Thanks, but it's actually small for this system. It's a high density orchard, dwarf trees grown on a trellis system Called tall spindle. You can grow about twice as many apples per acre vs old style standard trees. Here's a look.....
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #31227

One more pic...
Attachments:

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #31228

Very cool maya . how many apples per tree do you think you avg on a good yr. And still even though there small its got to b a lot of work.

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #31229

Very nice Maya

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 7 months ago #31264

Hobler666shang wrote:

Very cool maya . how many apples per tree do you think you avg on a good yr. And still even though there small its got to b a lot of work.

1 bushel per tree roughly. Some varieties little less, some a little more. The key is to crop it right. If you put out to many on a tree, the apples will be small and it won't crop well the following year.

Thanks Lenno.

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 6 months ago #31937

Maya..

Glad to hear you apple crop was a good one. They look absolutely yummy.

My favorites are Fuji and Honey Crisp... those dang HC are expensive and our walmart only carries the Fuji in (bags) which are less expensive than the singles, especially the single HC.

I usually eat 2-3 a day and about the same on bananas.

TNhunter

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 6 months ago #31974

TN, I sell my HC's for about $1.25 to $1.50 per pound depending on the quantity. I'm sure you have to have them shipped in. It's a little to warm down there to grow good quality HC's. They like it colder.
Attachments:

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 6 months ago #31991

I bet you are right on that Maya... HC are quite a bit higher than any other apple I can get a local stores and they are not as common either... only show up on he local store shelves a few times a year. Man they sure are good - outstanding flavor.

I tried to grow a Fuji apple tree but at year 3 or 4 fire blight wiped it out. Then I read up on them and that is common for my area. Not every apple tree grows well in every area and Fuji's don't fare well in TN. I am sure you know all about that stuff.

Dang fire blight got one of my pear trees bad this year too.

I am not one to spray... so what ever I grow needs to do well with out a lot of fuss.

My plum and peach trees produce nicely with no spraying... I like that.

So far my Mac and Mac-Free apple trees have not done much. Probably because I have not done much to them, other than prune a little.

TNhunter

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 6 months ago #32004

Tnhunter,
After reading your post on honey crisp apples earlier I went and bought a few pound. I always favored gala but had never tried h.c. As I type the juice from my fourth is running down my chin lol. You weren't joking, these are awesome!

Hillhopper

Re:Aaaaahhh! 9 years 6 months ago #32006

TN,most pears are highly susceptible to fire blight. Most apple growers don't want them around their apples. Asian Pears are immune to FB. Try Liberty, Goldrush and Galarina for FB resistant apples. They are also very resistant to scab, so if you are not spraying you're good to go there too!

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Who's Online

We have 197 guests and no members online

Login