2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scouting

Scouting 9 years 1 month ago #34586

I would like to hear other peoples scouting ideas and what time of year they start?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Scouting 9 years 1 month ago #34587

I like to scout in winter because i can see whats hidden like highwalls old pounds logjams rockcliffs the true north places will be the last places snow will melt and land owners are much easier to talk to and the sooner you ask permission the better the odds the answer will be yes . I scout all thru the year thou and look at by patches alot to keep my eyes sharp . the most helpful thing is a good map also google earth can also be helpful

Re:Scouting 9 years 1 month ago #34589

I like it! I been using google earth also

Re:Scouting 9 years 1 month ago #34590

If you have a good GPS... you can mark the location of plants that you find while scouting.... and that may just pay off later.

3 or 4 years ago I did some scouting in June... and found several nice ones on some property that I own. I marked the location with my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx...

When I went back the first few days of seng season... we were having an awful drought that year and a lot of the woods greens were dead already... and what seng was there the deer were hitting it extra hard.

I found all of those plants that I marked with my GPS... and most of them had the top eaten and just a stem sticking up.

Not every GPS may be that accurate, but my Garmin put me spot on.

TNhunter

Re:Scouting 9 years 1 month ago #34594

my wife got me a gps for Christmas so I can scout with it. im excited to try it out

Re:Scouting 9 years 1 month ago #34595

ive used a gps for a few years now .its another great tool..

Re:Scouting 8 years 10 months ago #35297

I am scouting heavily now while the woods aren't too thick and the temps aren't too high. The use of a GPS is an excellent idea. While you are scouting just log in your coordinates and this fall you can walk right up to your plants and start harvesting.

Re:Scouting 8 years 10 months ago #35298

Yep! Just got myself an Etrex 20 like a month ago. It's amazing. Can't wait to take it out into the mountains when I start my scouting soon. Already loaded a bunch of free maps onto it.

Re:Scouting 8 years 10 months ago #35312

Hey VAhunter
If you don't mind me asking, I'm getting ready to buy a nice GPS system and was wondering how much the etrex 20 set you back.
Thanks from Tennessee

Re:Scouting 8 years 10 months ago #35335

Hey two bear. The eTrex 20 set me back only $147. It cost me $189 including the shipping at REI, but then I used my $42 dividend. Got a it for a great price and I love it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 368 guests and no members online

Login