2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Nothin.

Nothin. 8 years 10 months ago #35765

Well I found ZERO ginseng on my 8 mile, 3000ft elevation gain, hike yesterday. There was an occasional pine tree or two, but the majority of the forest was maple and oak. I forgot what the tree companion plants are. As for the small companion plants, I looked near fern, but didn't see any others.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Nothin. 8 years 10 months ago #35779

What was the topography like? Ravines? Drainages?

Heading out today to look at a new property I just got permission to dig. The topo map of it doesn't look great, but I've got several patches withing a half mile on two sides of this property, so there is hope.

Re:Nothin. 8 years 10 months ago #35783

Well there were plenty of steep slopes that were well shaded and I looked in those places. I don't believe most or any were NE facing though. And there were TONS of this one plant that I've been trying to identify for an hour or more. It looks like this but without the flower: 4.bp.blogspot.com/_R7fLdadnsbY/SF6RPaGS3...per-and-bee-balm.jpg

With leaves pointing in opposite directions in a 90 degree angle.

Re:Nothin. 8 years 10 months ago #35785

The picture looks like bergamont, the one you are seeing may be pink root. It has opposite leaves and grows 1-2.5 feet tall and grows in shaded areas but usually a little brighter and drier than ginseng habitat.

Re:Nothin. 8 years 10 months ago #35786

No I don't think that's it... Can't believe I can't find it. It didn't have any flowers. Just green.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds

Who's Online

We have 200 guests and no members online

Login