2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: opening day...

opening day... 4 years 5 months ago #42234

Yep... it's done turned winter !

Seems like we had almost no fall this year.. it stayed hot and dry so long (until first week in Oct)... and we had a week or two in there of nice fall weather and now just Nov 12 and it feels like January outside.

Chief that dang cancer is what took my mom. Seems like it is just everywhere, in every family.

Prayers for your Family on that Chief !

TNHunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by TNhunter.

opening day... 4 years 5 months ago #42235

thanks TN, sorry you lost your mother,,,,my old lady's youngest brother is the one we are worried most about,her other brother and sister caught theirs early on,they have a fighting chance,4 degrees here this morning brrrr

opening day... 4 years 5 months ago #42236

Thoughts with you and your family Chief. My dad died from cancer in 99' while I was stationed in Iceland. I didn't even know he was sick.

Not that it helps but I had a friend who survived prostate cancer. A few years later he hurt his shoulder during a party on a slip-n-slide. He had surgery than died from an infection, he was 72 but 30 at heart.

We had our first snow the other day but it was maybe an inch, probably less. It's been cold, in the teens at night but today almost reached 50 which is pretty much the forecast for the next week.

Nice pic 44. When I heard we would get snow I thought I might take the camera out but what we got was just not that pic-worthy. I like your thinking with the Jack. :)

I've attached a couple pics taken 3.21.18, three months after we moved into our current house. Last year we didn't have much snow, hope for at least one or two nice falls of a couple inches or so.
Attachments:

opening day... 4 years 4 months ago #42237

hows everyone doing out there...weather is fixing to get cold here.

opening day... 4 years 4 months ago #42238

Hey Chief, good to hear from you, I wondered if the folks on this site hibernate during the winter which would seem logical.

After my first season having discovered ginseng on my property and finished planting roughly 3600 seeds, I'm suffering from post-part um (ginseng) syndrome. I really miss looking at the damn plants on my walks. :) Spring seems so far away. While planting however, I discovered a hawks nest. We have a resident red-tail hawk which has been here since before we moved here (2 years) but one morning while planting, I saw it fly from its nest. I've also discovered a pileated woodpecker nest but that was just when I was in the woods drinking beer.

I've been patrolling my property for poachers since hunting season opened up. Last year I had two that I discovered, I found one guy's blind and another left trash. Actually, they both left trash. I let a few folks from NC bow hunt on my property so if people would just ask... I don't like the idea however that I'm out on a walk with my dogs and someone who I don't about is there and might have me in their sights.

We've had a few cold days/nights but then warm ones as well. Good bit of rain today, good to see the creek flowing happy again.

On a bad note and sorry to mention here but my son is AWOL from the Army. He's been struggling with PTSD since 2013 after a tour in Afghanistan. He succumbed to alcohol and I think drugs as well. He had hernia surgery earlier this year and they gave him opiods but I don't really know exactly what's going on. He returned from Korea last year and his wife, due to his sleepless nights and drinking, didn't accompany him to KS.

He went AWOL with a gal who is also AWOL and I don't know where he/they are at. This situation is really eating at me. I've been talking to his wife and assured her that we'll (my wife and I) will help her and their two kids best we can. I don't think a good ending will happen here, my son, several months ago during a phone conversation made a reference to Bonny and Clyde. I didn't think anything of it at the time but I didn't know how messed up he was/is.

I've been in contact with his CO but haven't heard anything in a few weeks.

I have a run in Louisiana this weekend. I'll be in Vance, AL Thursday evening and on my return trip, will stop in Chattanooga, TN on 12/16. If anyone lives nearby to these places and want to meet for a beverage let me know.

I hope things are looking up for your family members Chief and that everyone else is doing well.

I mentioned a pileated woodpecker and since I know you like photos Chief, thought I'd share one with you.
Attachments:

opening day... 4 years 4 months ago #42239

Just enjoying this crazy Tennessee weather. It's freezing one day and warm the next. Calling for a little snow tomorrow night, and it was in the 60's today. Did a little crappie fishing the other day caught enough for a decent dinner. The crappie on the bottom was 1lb 11 oz's and was about 15 inches long. I'd like to get a bunch like that.
Attachments:

opening day... 4 years 4 months ago #42240

Sorry to hear about your son jm. Hope everything works out in the end there. Continued prayers for your family chief, and yours as well jm.

opening day... 4 years 4 months ago #42241

hope your son gets help jm,....nice crappie 44,got to get my motor to the shop before spring, water impeller is out of it...

Last Edit: by Chieftain.

opening day... 4 years 4 months ago #42242

got 6 inches ,with more to come this afternoon.

opening day... 4 years 4 months ago #42243

Beautiful snow there. I love getting a little snow in the winter, something peaceful about it. I use to love to grouse hunt in the snow. I would track their footprints that would usually lead to right under a hemlock tree or laurel thicket. Man, they are hard to get a bead on, but that was some exciting hunting.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Who's Online

We have 123 guests and no members online

Login