2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: opening day...

opening day... 3 years 11 months ago #42384

This morning it was nice out, mid 40s and dry. Right now at 1750, it's 39 and raining, just really unpleasant. I'm seeing lots of night time temps in the 30s here. Tomorrow looks dry and 50, good day for a run.

This morning I had a nice outing in the woods. Found a two-prong and several with 3-4 leaves that I panted in 2018, I think the two-prong is from 2018. My 2019 plantings, I'm seeing 2-4 per plot which is not that exciting, maybe it's still early? Still not seeing much from the "honey holes" I found last year.

I was also trimming back shrubs on one of my trails when I almost stepped on a morel. I found about 6 in that spot though I only looked around briefly. I sacrificed one to determine if it was hollow and it was. I found another smaller patch on my return down that trail (because I was now looking for them).

Good luck with the fishing guys. I'll be sanding drywall tomorrow then painting the next couple days but I'll get into the woods if only briefly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

opening day... 3 years 11 months ago #42385

It's snowing here now, hopefully it won't stick much.

opening day... 3 years 11 months ago #42386

Well after work I took my wife for a drive down to the river where I fish... and sad to say that it was up and ugly still... running like crazy.
I had enough of that last time... like white water rafting... and lost my ole stetson mountain sky hat (it drowned in the river) :-)

so no fishing tomorrow... bummer...

I did get me a new Stetson Mountain Sky in today though... so got my favorite hat back.

They have 3 main News stations in Nashville... 2 4 and 5... and they are showing possible lows tonight of 30, 32, 33.

I am going to cover a few plants... like my Fig and a new LoganBerry plant that I rooted and just planted about a week ago..

I have 6 Big Beef tomato plants that I picked up this weekend at the coop.. They were about 7" tall, and I re-potted them in gallon black pots with some compost and really good soil mix and organic fertilizer.. I will just bring those in for the night. I have not planted them yet, just have them in a nice protected spot on the south side of my house (sun all day)... but if it gets too cold I can bring them in for the night, and then set them back out the next day after it warms up enough...

I learned years ago, it does not pay to plant tomatoes in the ground early... when the ground is cool, they just sit there, and don't grow hardly at all... and they are more likely to get leaf blight... but if you take small plants, and put them in a gallon black pot, with some good soil mix and compost... and put them in a sunny protected from the wind location... they will double, tipple in size in just a couple weeks.... when danger of frost is hopefully past... then put them in the garden ground and you are good to go.

It has been cool this week and rained quite a bit... I may even hit the woods again tomorrow and see if I can find any more morels up.

I did check out my seed bed and there are several up now, still small but up. A couple of 4's were up today.

TNHunter

opening day... 3 years 11 months ago #42387

Well yesterday evening I did cover my Fig Tree, a young plant loganberry (rooted cutting)... and my new little Mulberry tree... everything else I left alone.

This morning this is how it went Temp wise...

4:30 am... 36 degrees...
5:50 am... 34.8 degrees
It was starting to break daylight a bit... could see some sparkle on the grass... I setup two space heaters blowing on my trellessed LoganBerry (which has been in boom for a couple weeks now and has some berry starts on it now)..
6:05 am (b4 sun up) 34.9
6:10 am... just b4 sun up 35.0
6:15 am... sun just showing up 35.0
6:50 am.. sun up well.. 35.1
7:05 am.. 35.2
7:15 am.. 35.8

It is only going to go on up from there... now the sun is hitting he grass and back yard well, bright and sunny....

This was supposed to be the coldest night this week... and looks like I should have made it thru with no fruit loss (with those temps)..

Praise God ! Thankful for that.

I am sure you folks on up North... got some light to hard freezes last night...
Hope you get some fruit to make it thru this... Good Luck !

TNHunter

opening day... 3 years 11 months ago #42388

Here is a Pic of those 2 - 4 prongs I found up in my seed producing bed yesterday evening...

They have not been up long... still folding out and filling out.

TNHunter

Attachments:

opening day... 3 years 11 months ago #42389

good looking plant TN,30 degrees here and spitting snow...been a damn cold spring here..

opening day... 3 years 11 months ago #42390

snowing a pretty good clip here.

opening day... 3 years 11 months ago #42392

Chief, hope your weather improves soon. I'ts not real nice here either though today was sunny and high 40s, the damn breeze kept it cool. I wore a hoodie and coat most of the day. Still dropping to the low 30s at night so moving plants indoors.

TN, nice pics, I have one 2-prong up and lots of smaller ones. I've checked most of my plots from 2018 and am seeing some of those guys.

Some of the plants look "sickly" as they're unfurling, is this normal or maybe caused by the erratic temps? The 2-prong I mentioned was opened up already when I found it so I didn't see it earlier.

Geez, had some turkey scratch in one of my two year old planting spots, I hope they survived.

opening day... 3 years 11 months ago #42393

pouring down rain here.guess it beats snow,,

opening day... 3 years 11 months ago #42397

Hey Guys...

It must have gotten colder out around my place here... than my back porch thermometer showed the other morning...
It showed a low of 34.8... but I did have a few things that got frost bit...

My grapes had a few inches of new green shoots... and they got bit hard and wilted. I cut that off and tossed it... per research they should bud out again and bloom... I hope that is true.

My two mulberry trees had new green shoots on them too, and both of them got frosted bad too.. will have to regrow.

Most hickory, Poplar, mountain oak, and many white oaks got at least partially frosted... leaves black and wilted...

I remember in 2007 we got a hard frost like 25 degrees on April 20... and all tree leaves wilted and turned black... it took them about a month to send out new leaves and buds... but they did.

I think my apples may have gotten zapped too... hard to tell... but there are still a few blooms on my apple, so hope more sets and I still get some.

I thinned my two peach trees the day after... and they were looking OK...

Of my new fruit trees, the young apple trees look fine... but the new apricot, about half the leaves on it wilted..

It was just at that point where some could not take it, and others did OK.

My loganberry is still looking good and my black berries had not bloomed yet, so they are still good, josta berry and honey berry and several other things are still looking good.

It is good to have a lot of stuff planted, lots of possibilities... when one thing does not make it, good to have a backup or two.

TNHunter

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Who's Online

We have 399 guests and no members online

Login