2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: opening day...

opening day... 3 years 10 months ago #42430

TN, you mentioned among other plants, "autumn olive". Autumn Olive is considered an invasive species here and I have it growing on much of my property, especially where trees were harvested. It pretty much takes over a clear cut and along fields and cleared areas. We have tons of it along the road to our house and pretty much everywhere in this area.

I've heard of work parties in state parks here to pull it up. I have too much in my woods to even imagine I'll live long enough to remove it all. I'm trying to live "with" it.

I did find several plants under one autumn olive last week.

I have not tried the berries, maybe I will this fall. Is there a certain type more suited for an orchard or such?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

opening day... 3 years 10 months ago #42431

my buddy is having this one mounted......

opening day... 3 years 10 months ago #42432

you are wise not to trust any govt employees. they are usually trying to justify their job , so they will rule against you even though you have proven your case. they usually have no real qualification for their job, but they can give a good interview and get themselves hired

opening day... 3 years 10 months ago #42433

www.burntridgenursery.com/Autumn-Olive-Bushes/products/39/

Woodsrunner... above is where I got my autumn olive... they have two - red and yellow... i got the red one.

There is a lot of positive talk about them on youtube by people that are into foraging for wild edibles and those who grow food forest.

Looks like my State does consider them a threat, invasive. Hate that... mine is just starting to leaf nicely.

You will have to try the berries out this fall. Looks like I will have to terminate mine.

TNHunter

opening day... 3 years 10 months ago #42434

datwood, I served 20 years in the USAF and was reassigned often. Folks would often approach me and ask why I was so quiet and reserved. It was because I was trying to determine who the good folk was and who the "back stabbing" troublemakers were.

I'm the same way since retiring. This ginseng gig is new to me and I'm learning a lot of cool stuff, while spending a lot of time in the woods. I've felt comfortable posting here because I figured the "troublemakers or trolls" are identified and run off in some fashion. I trust the regular folks on this site and felt any info I was divulging was harmless until I stumbled upon that obscure requirement I previously mentioned.

I've decided after much consideration to just carry on sharing my experiences with you folks and hope someone else is committing the crime of the century. I will be a little less forthcoming though.

I enjoy this forum and the folks who post here.

opening day... 3 years 10 months ago #42435

thank you for your service,Woods

opening day... 3 years 10 months ago #42436

Chief, you're welcome. And thanks as well.

TN, I had hoped that the Autumn Olive you bought was a cultivar or something other than the invasive species I see everywhere around here. A neighbor's grandfather had a part of their property clear cut and olive moved in, so now they have a forest of olive.

I've only seen red berries and what I've seen is far less spectacular than in the photo and video.

They do have a nice fragrance however, I wonder if it can be captured and marketed? :)

opening day... 3 years 10 months ago #42437

Actual ginseng talk here, probably. A short tale really that I'll drag out a bit.

Last year about this time I found a lone plant a couple hundred yards from a group of plants. I went back to it a few days later and it was gone. I couldn't recall the exact spot but after looking for it this spring a few times I located it earlier this week. I started looking around and began discovering more plants, about 15. It began pouring down with rain so I went back to the house.

This morning was gorgeous, high 60s, mostly sunny and just a real pleasant morning. I went up this morning in hopes of searching that slope completely. I reached the slope and surveyed where I had already searched and where I wanted to continue searching. I formed my game plan, took about 5 steps and all hell broke loose. I had walked right up onto a nesting turkey and at least two "turklets". The hen went nuts and I quickly devised a plan "B" to minimize my intrusion.

She flew into low branches, ranted around I think trying to lead me away form her chicks who at first ran towards me. After 20 minutes or so I was far enough away that she chilled out. She worked her way back to where they were nestled.

I looped around and now up near the ridge top I'm looking and finding plants when I start hearing a cluck again. It gets more intense and I look up and dang if she hadn't moved her brood (is that what they're called) up the slope. She's now flying into the trees, raising a racket and the chicks are running around. So I gave up and moved on. I enjoy such encounters despite knowing how stressful they are on the game.

I've counted 39 plants in that area so far. I've posted a pic of the pertiest. This guy and two other very similar plants are under a huge deadfall. I don't think the pic shows it but the stem grew out at a 20-30 degree angle until in cleared the branch you see on the right, then it shoots up. I had to duck under and climb over limbs to get to it but it was worth the effort.
Attachments:

opening day... 3 years 10 months ago #42438

Nice one... normally when you see seng with nice wide rounded leaves like that... it is getting the kind of sunlight that it really likes.

Looks very healthy and like it is in a ideal spot for seng to grow.

I would definitely plant more in that area, but not too thick, keep it natural... just a few seeds here and there.... and space them out.

You don't want your wild sim to pass disease on to your wild.... so I would try planting it very thinly in that area, just very small patched a few seeds here and there... if they all get along after 3 -4 years, you could go a little heavier.

Good Luck

TNHunter

opening day... 3 years 10 months ago #42439

I served 4 yrs in AF. 1988 to 1992. I was in the security police at Loring AFB Maine and Ramstein Germany

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds

Who's Online

We have 750 guests and no members online

Login