2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: opening day...

opening day... 3 years 1 week ago #42752

the blooms are starting to fall off mine..hope the fruit sets on and no more cold nights...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

opening day... 3 years 1 week ago #42753

Hey Guys, cool that spring is here. I've transplanted my blueberries, some of my raspberries and strawberries to the new garden but still have some more moving to do.

I'm happy the fruit trees I planted last year are still alive and are filling out with leaves. I'd prefer they don't set fruit yet because we're likely to get another freeze or two. Last year we had to freezes in May and according to my wife and the Farmer's Almanac, mid May is the average for our last freeze of the season.

It's just fun watching everything come back to life.

opening day... 3 years 1 week ago #42754

I got me some Big Beef (8) and Rutgers (6) tomato plants yesterday.. and got them potted into 1 gal black pots with a nice compost mix...

I have a hot spot on the south side of my house (brick wall) where I make a little hot house for them, and will keep them there for a couple weeks, 3 at most.

I normally can plant tomatoes end of April if the 10 day looks Ok.. and start some sweet corn.

I am taking 4 of these to my daughters place in Cookeville TN on 4/22 and will let her baby them and plant in her garden bed (which I made for her)... when warm enough.

I think she has a little of me in her... she has been trying to grow tomatoes, peppers, cukes, (in pots)... the past couple years... the first of which they lived in an appartment, but last year moved to a home they are renting... that has a nice yard, and spot to grow stuff.

So ... Yes...I made her a nice garden bed, and also got her some raspberries started a few weeks back.

she is going to be fixed up this year.

My two older peach trees are loaded with fruit, will need a serious thinning on both. Once they get near 3/4 inch I will thin them good.
Getting close now.

On my last morel hunt a few days ago, saw some seng up.

PS.. I started a 2021 Morel Mushroom post below in the mushroom section. If you all find some good messes, I would love to see a pic.
I think I found a total of 25 or so this year... which is good for me :-)

TNHunter

Last Edit: by TNhunter.

opening day... 3 years 1 week ago #42755

I've repotted three Husky cherry tomato plants into one gallon pots and have been moving them in my (needs a lot of work ) greenhouse at night and on chilly days like today. Yesterday I bought two 4-packs of shoot, forget which variety of tomato (big boy or big beef?) and two 6-packs of peppers, one sweet, one hot. I need to replant them in the next day or so into bigger pots.

I've got seng coming up as well, what I beautiful sight. Using net fencing I fenced off two areas to protect them from deer. Interested to see if any other native plants return. I got this idea at a conference from a Cornell U. professor. I'll let you know how it goes.

Regarding morels, I found about 10 last year. I was up in that area on Sunday, didn't see any. I'll check again in a day or two.

I have leaves on my fruit trees, I think apple trees set in fives? If so, I might have some blossoms. I've been told to pinch off 4 of 5 to help next year's crop. You guys hear of this?

I'll try and get some pics soon cause I know Chief likes pics. :)

opening day... 3 years 5 days ago #42756

crap,,,,they are calling for snow tomorrow,then three nights of low temps. in the mid 20's

opening day... 3 years 5 days ago #42757

Yea Chief, we've got two nights coming up with low temps at 30 and 31. I have cherries, blueberries, strawberries, apples setting. From what I can gather they should be ok into the mid-20s but I don't know.

I think I'm going to fabricate some crude greenhouse-like enclosures for plants that have set. I have so many cherries that I might cry if I lose them and who wants to see a grown old man standing in his garden cry? ;)

opening day... 3 years 4 days ago #42758

well it started snowing,starting to stick to my truck and the roof on the shop and grassy areas...record lows to night .bye bye fruit .and I had a million blossoms .....

opening day... 3 years 4 days ago #42759

Sorry to hear that Chief.

I framed a couple enclosures for my cherry trees today, told my wife WE need to get plastic up in the morning. Wed and Thursday nights are our projected coldest (just below freezing). i meant to take some pics but forgot, maybe I'll remember tomorrow morning.

opening day... 3 years 3 days ago #42760

well I went out a hour and a half later after I took that first pic....we got a solid 2 and ahalf inches .then the wind kick up temp. dropped to 25 degrees last night, same for tonights low temp...aint going out to the orchard till tomorrow iam not thinking its going to be good.....

opening day... 3 years 1 day ago #42761

checked the fruit trees..ill be surprised if there is any fruit this year...

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds

Who's Online

We have 436 guests and no members online

Login