2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Roadside sang

Roadside sang 6 years 7 months ago #40600

Had the opportunity to hunt for a few hours yesterday. During one of my scouting trips in August I was driving on a back road and saw a large patch of black cohosh growing along the bank of the road. As a lot of you may already know from a few of my previous posts cohosh in my opinion is the absolute best companion plant to ginseng that there is in the woods. So with that being said I kept this place on my mind to hit once the season starts. Well i went in there yesterday and wouldn't you know it there was ginseng all through it. I only found 9 ounces of sang but I was only in there for a little more than an hour and had to walk very little. I took the picture of a few of the plants that I found and if you look closely you can see the cohosh and the road in the background. i think that around here a lot of hunters think that they have to get deep in the woods to find pockets of sang and ignore the areas near the roads but I can tell you from experience that this is probably the dozenth time that Ive found ginseng within 20 yards of a road. Good luck to all and I hope everyone is having a safe and successful season.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Roadside sang 6 years 7 months ago #40601

jimsanger, cool, always nice when you don't have to kill yourself to find ginseng. I'm on back roads all the time and see some real enticing spots right next to the road that you know are just eat up with seng. I still like going back woods with the 4 wheeler when I have a good full day to hunt. Seems like the deeper in the woods you go the bigger the seng gets. I love seeing that cohosh as well. It certainly does get you alert, lol. Good and safe huntin bro!

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.

Roadside sang 6 years 7 months ago #40605

nice patch..

Roadside sang 6 years 6 months ago #40637

i agree with you. a couple of years ago i was walking down an old class4 road and there was ginseng growing just a few feet off the road. wish it was all that easy.

Roadside sang 6 years 6 months ago #40638

I found 3 - 4 prongs within 3 ft. of a black top road 4-5 years ago...

We had just stopped and asked the landowner for permission and she said go right ahead... stepped into the woods off the county road in front of her house and boom there it was. Found lots more on back too but that was the closest to a county blacktop road I ever found any.
Nice when that happens !

Nice pic - and congrats on the "easy picking" find... Lord knows this fine sport is full of difficulties (like spider webs and spiders covering your face and hat every few minutes)... so it is nice when something EASY happens now and then.

TNHunter.

Roadside sang 6 years 5 months ago #40831

Haha. It is those spiders and bugs that keep 95% of the population out of the woods. Even most self-proclaimed "hikers" feel squeamish about walking off trail. They think they will end up like Bilbo Baggins getting lost in the Mirkwood.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

Who's Online

We have 726 guests and no members online

Login