2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Fall, Spring, and Winter hunting/fishing

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40934

That's some good eatin there chief!, I just got done boiling down some maple sap for some maple syrup. This is my third year making my own syrup. We have some nice sugar maples on our property that I tap. It's a fun hobby during the winter months when the temps cooperate, and mighty good on some pancakes and bacon in the morning.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40935

some good ole maple syrup.

Attachments:

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40936

TN ,when you posted that pic. of you and those smallies that reminded me I needed to eat some fish...44 its been 40 year since I tapped a tree..me and my dad loved making syrup ..you cant get no better than self made syrup

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40937

It takes forever to boil down, but boy it sure is good. We have a bunch of black walnut trees that I tapped last year which make some good syrup as well. I like the maple the best though, hard to beat.

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40938

Tn that's a lot of work there. I know all bout those fleas too lol. I'm hoping spring thaw is mild this yr so I can float the river can really hammer the beaver that way with caster sets.
Chief those look yummy and so does that fresh syurp wild.

Last Edit: by Hobler666shang.

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40939

Love that maple syrup...

I went on a special diet back in March last year (for health reasons)... called Paleo Diet.

With this diet, you eliminate a lot of foods that cause inflammation (refined sugars, grains, dairy, hydrogenated cooking oils) and some high carb veggies.
No processed food allowed, well because almost all of it has that stuff in it, and whole foods are much better for you.

I can eat (like a cave man basically).. Meat, Veggies (mostly low carb), fruits, nuts, seeds
Meat - should be mostly wild caught (fish, game)... or grass fed beef, cage free organic chicken, etc... clean stuff.

Cooking oils... EV Olive Oil, Avacado Oil, Coconut Oil, Ghee (clarified butter, from grass fed cows).

Sweeteners allowed - Raw Unfiltered Honey, 100% Pure Organic Maple syrup, Coconut Palm Sugar, and some fruits like dates, rasins, etc (noting but whole food sugars or sweeteners).

Again my goal was to eliminate pain (inflammation)... and that happened. From March to May, I also lost 30 lbs (not even trying to lose weight, but that happened).
I don't starve either... I can eat all of that good stuff I want, and I do eat a LOT. Do not go hungry.

I had high BP, and was taking meds for that, and High Cholesterol, taking meds for that. But got off all med by May.

My BP is perfect now... normally runs 120./70

My Cholesterol, is excellent. (120-200) is what they call normal good range for total cholesterol... I scored 118 (a little lower than the base normal range).
Prior to diet change I was way over 200... in the 400's at times (without meds). Now at 118 with no meds.

Bad Cholesterol levels LDL.. per my Doc, if you have had a heart attach or stroke, they will medicate you to get your LDL down to 100 range.

My score on LDL with no meds was 51

:-)

Food is Medicine !

TNHunter

Last Edit: by TNhunter.

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40940

TN that sounds great,congrats...

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40941

Got 2 today nice n chilly a whole 4° also got one yesterday a good start to the season.
Attachments:

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40942

Good for you TN glad to hear you're staying on top of it. The native americans use to drink maple sap to replenish their bodies it was basically their energy drink. They would also use it for sugar and trade as well.

Nutritional Value Of Maple Syrup
The nutrients found in maple syrup include energy, water, protein, fat, carbohydrates, and sugars. In terms of minerals, it contains calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, and zinc. Vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, and B6 are also found in maple syrup.

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40943

Looks like you're really into em hob, nice work. Hope you get enough to make a killer blanket.

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds

Who's Online

We have 596 guests and no members online

Login