2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Fall, Spring, and Winter hunting/fishing

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 3 months ago #40924

Chief...

Looks like it was warm and dry in your pic.

I agree with you... on wishing for warmer days. I am thinking about March, when we get a warm spell and the smallies start to turn on again.

We had smallmouth bass for supper last night.... YUM. I still have 6-7 packs in the freezer.

Below is a pic from last summer... (a warmer pic for you).

TNHunter

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 3 months ago #40925

It has been cold indeed. It was 4 degrees here this morning. We got a nice snow night before last. Enjoyed the warm pics fellas. I like a little winter weather, but does make you crazy after a while for sure.

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40926

great pic. TN.i feel warmer already..44 this is the first day in 8 days it got above freezing here..

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40927

Finally got started trapping today put in 10 sets. Within the first 10 mins had a nice blanket beaver.
Attachments:

Last Edit: by Hobler666shang.

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40928

nice bev Hob....

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40929

nice trappin Hob, looks like it will make a killer pelt.

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40930

Thxs guys. They're in there prime right now. A lot of ice chopping but worth it.

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40931

my loving woman and I got to eat lunch together today so I took out a bag of crappie last night..man they were good..may take a little nap now LOL.

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40932

Nice beaver Hobbler..

I used to trap them to but down here we don't have to worry much about ice. In normal years we hardly have any, this year there has been more than normal.

When I was in my late 20's I set a trap line at a place where I could drive out a logging road to the top of a bluff overlooking a local river. I had to walk from there and would walk off the right side/end of the bluff to get down to the river, and would set traps all around that bluff to the other end, the walk back up to my vehicle. I got out 15 sets.

I was mostly trapping for coon, but put out a few beaver sets to0 (had some #4 jump traps) and the first night caught 3 nice coons, and a big old beaver.

It was a long steep uphill walk back to my vehicle from the river, so I decided to skin them out at the river, and just carry the pelts back up. I only had one night to trap so I had pulled my traps too and had all that to tote back up the hill to my vehicle. A real load.

So I rolled those hides up and put them down inside my shirt. I had on long johns, a sweat shirt and a coat... and I just put those hides down in my shirt (which was tucked in) for a place to carry them, to free up my hands for carrying traps and other gear.

When I got up to my truck, I started feeling my skin crawling... and realized that a few hundred fleas had abandoned the beaver pelt and decided they liked me better (I was much warmer at that point).

So I guess the lesson learned is you need a good trapping basket or some other way to tote skinned out pelts other than stuffing them down your shirt.

I was a little surprised that beavers would have fleas, but that one sure did, and a lot of em.

That was one of my learning experiences from my early days of trapping - probably around 1979 or so.

TNHunter

Fall and Winter hunting/fishing 6 years 2 months ago #40933

Chief... oh man that is some good looking fish cooked up there.

Making my mouth water.

TNHunter

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds

Who's Online

We have 342 guests and no members online

Login