2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: What’s the rumors??

What’s the rumors?? 5 years 7 months ago #41290

Good evening all... Just wanted to give everyone some details of what I was just told.. I spoke to an exporter that I’ve done business with in the past.... He told me that the outlook this season looks better than it has for the past 4 years... He thinks prices this year for the dry market could hit as high as $750/pound later in the year probably around the end of November early December.. Said the main reason for solid prices this year was do to a low dig/harvest of ginseng in the U.S. last year which was caused by a pretty substantial drought in most states that have a high ginseng yield... Also told me that most of the holdover sang from previous years harvest has been sold... All of which are good circumstances for diggers.... Now some bad news.. He says the tariffs with China will not have much of an effect on ginseng prices in the U.S. because most of our sang is exported to Hong Kong and not the mainland however China recently devaluing their currency by 15% when compared to the dollar is probably not good but is yet to be seen how it effects prices... Hope this helps everyone out when deciding on how hard they plan on hitting it this year.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

What’s the rumors?? 5 years 6 months ago #41345

I don't know about where y'all are located but I spoke with a lady in southwest Virginia that I've sold to in the past off and on and she told me 130-150 a lb green yesterday...I'll not dig another ounce for that not worth my time..I could easily dig 30+lbs of some of the wildest ginsang in Virginia this year..but it can stay on the mtn til another yr for that price

Last Edit: by ridgerunner.

What’s the rumors?? 5 years 6 months ago #41346

Ginseng is unpredictable. I have heard $175 for green. That’s about $525 for a pound dry. This early in the season, not a bad price. You gamble either way. Sell it green and it goes for $800 a pound dry. Try to hold to sell dry and the price could drop. I go gisenging for the fun and comraderie. Money is a bonus. Realistically, adding up gas, time, provisions and whatever else you may/may not need, you would make more money working at a McDonald’s. Just enjoy being able to get out and enjoy nature and doing what you love.

What’s the rumors?? 5 years 6 months ago #41347

CarlM wrote: Ginseng is unpredictable. I have heard $175 for green. That’s about $525 for a pound dry. This early in the season, not a bad price. You gamble either way. Sell it green and it goes for $800 a pound dry. Try to hold to sell dry and the price could drop. I go gisenging for the fun and comraderie. Money is a bonus. Realistically, adding up gas, time, provisions and whatever else you may/may not need, you would make more money working at a McDonald’s. Just enjoy being able to get out and enjoy nature and doing what you love.

I'm a brick mason...how my family enjoys Christmas and winter a lot of yrs depends on prices of sang can't work too much during winter months... i do agree I love nature but theys many other ways for me to enjoy nature than sangin... I normally walk 2-5 miles before I ever really start huntiin.. a bad day ginsangin for me is a lb...a good day is 3-4lbs...I have other ways to make money during winter months but as most of you boys my first option every yr is digging sang because I love it and enjoy it And it's what I grew up doing and my number 1 option to support my family each winter..yrs prices ain't good I go out of state to work during winter and yrs prices are good I dig sang and spend winters with my family... to each is own but I don't do it to enjoy nature i fish and deer hunt to enjoy nature not walk 2 miles before daylight fight stingin needles over my head laurel bear and bees snakes and bugs and cliffs to enjoy nature lol..I dig sang for the money so I don't have to leave my family 3 months every winter...I have a good mtn to sang on and not another human in there right mind will go the places I go sometimes I hit the woods sangin sleep on ground and don't come outta the mtn for 3/4 days and it's work hard work and as mentioned above for 150 a lb green I can make more at the local drive thru...I do know from talking to a few buyers this year not to expect much for dry this yr so was planning on saleing it green... I hope you boys hang onto it all until Jan and it goes to 1,000 a lb I really do.. unfortunately i can't do that..the last yr I really dug enough to count was 4 yrs ago and I sold a little of 10,000 that yr last 3 yrs I've spent the winters in Georgia laying brick and was hoping I wouldn't have to again this yr not looking like it's going to happen tho...it's up good this yr boys good luck to all that hits the woods!!!

Last Edit: by ridgerunner.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds

Who's Online

We have 145 guests and no members online

Login