2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: High Mountain sengin 2019

High Mountain sengin 2019 4 years 6 months ago #42050

Wild... I have some double tops in my seed producing bed. I have seen probably 8-10 of those over the years in wild seng, and found one root several years ago that had 3 - 3 prong tops off that one root.

Back in 2015 one of those roots in my seed bed that normally has two 3 prong tops... sent up the top below.
The stem on the top was like two stems fused together... they were joined together from bottom to top but you could see that it had two stems in thickness and with some separation (although joined)... it was odd. And when it got to the top, there were 6 prongs, and two berry stems.

It was like it was a double top - 2 - 3 prongs, but they were joined somewhat like Siamese twins.

That is the oddest one I have ever seen.
the next year and every year since, it has come up a double top with 2, 3 prongs.

TNHunter

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

High Mountain sengin 2019 4 years 6 months ago #42051

Tn, Wow, that is unique indeed! It's hard to explain nature sometimes.

High Mountain sengin 2019 4 years 6 months ago #42053

I truly enjoy reading about your hunting and digging adventures as well as the photos.

I don't really intend at this time to dig seng but reviewed the laws in WV, which is where I live. One of the laws is: "Ginseng may not be harvested on state owned lands in West Virginia."

So my question is, if I can't harvest on state land then I can only harvest on private property which to me means, my property or the property of someone else with their permission. Or am I missing something?

High Mountain sengin 2019 4 years 6 months ago #42054

Thanks jm, Glad you enjoyed them. I really love getting out there and taking a few pics and sharing the hunts. Sometimes I think I enjoy taking pictures of the ginseng more than the harvesting part. I ran into quite a few Jack in the pulpits as well today with those big berry clusters had me doing double takes all morning, lol. As far as your question I'm not really familiar with WV ginseng laws, but it sounds like hunting private property would be the way to go. West Virginia is a prime ginseng state should be a lot of good places around.

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.

High Mountain sengin 2019 4 years 6 months ago #42055

Jm, I found this on WV ginseng regulations. Don't know if you saw this or not, but apparently you can hunt on public lands as well with proper permission, or required permits. That may be worth checking into as public lands can often cover hundreds if not thousands of acres. Hope this helps.

GET PERMISSION TO HARVEST
Whether you are on private or public land, always
get permission before digging ginseng. Some
National Forests and state-owned lands will allow
harvest of ginseng but require you to obtain a
permit. Harvest is not allowed in any National
Park.
When digging on public land, always obtain
required permits and comply with all rules. When
digging on private property, get the permission of
the landowner or his/her agent. Also, report any
signs of property damage, habitat loss, or
trespassing to the landowner.

High Mountain sengin 2019 4 years 6 months ago #42056

Don't know if this will work. Ended up finding two roots growed together yesterday evening. First time I have seen this
Attachments:

High Mountain sengin 2019 4 years 6 months ago #42057

Never seen that either AK, Neat find there!

High Mountain sengin 2019 4 years 6 months ago #42058

Got out for an hour dug 12 roots. They were huge for this area. Weighed 68 grams so a little over 2 oz I was excited

High Mountain sengin 2019 4 years 6 months ago #42059

Good deal AK, good to see someone else out there in this early season. I tell you what though, with this heat the way it is I might hang it up till late September or October. It's gonna be in the high 80's to low 90's most of this month! It's awful hot and dry out there, maybe the driest I've seen it in a long time. I went for a little while this morning for couple hours. It was all I could stand, it was like hunting in the amazon without the rain of course, lol

High Mountain sengin 2019 4 years 6 months ago #42060

I heard it through the grapevine.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.287 seconds

Who's Online

We have 648 guests and no members online

Login