2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Prices

Prices 3 years 7 months ago #42561

Ginseng around here is selling for $190/fresh and dry opened up at $500/$600 a pound. Don’t know if anyone is interested but there seems to be something going on with yellow root. It’s nearly $60/pound. It was just $35/pound a few years ago and back then I said I wouldn’t dig it for less than $75/pound. Seems like that’s a real possibility some day.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Prices 3 years 6 months ago #42562

Hey Jimsanger...

What State are you hearing those prices from ?

Just wondering... it can vary quite a bit by State.

I am in TN... and it seems like they always get a lot better price in WV NY etc... than we do down here in the more southern states.

Thanks
TNHunter

Prices 3 years 6 months ago #42563

PS.. that price on Yellow Root does sound good...

But when I was younger I took up yellow root digging for a week or two... dug several feed sacks full of the stuff.
I know where there are some huge patches... run 200 ft up the hillside.

But man it was too much like work for me. I gave it up after a while.

I think the most fun I had digging yellow root was when occasionally you would find a nice 3 or 4 prong growing right in the midst of a YR patch.

TNHunter

Prices 3 years 6 months ago #42564

West Virginia. Yea digging yellow root is definitely a lot like work.

Prices 3 years 6 months ago #42565

Wasn’t gonna dig this year other than what I was gonna transplant back here to the farm but glad I went out yesterday. Found this nice patch. The picture doesn’t do it justice. All together there were 33 big four prongers.
Attachments:

Last Edit: by jimsanger.

Prices 3 years 6 months ago #42566

Here’s a few more.
Attachments:

Prices 3 years 6 months ago #42567

its nice to see plants that aint burnt up..

Prices 3 years 6 months ago #42568

Its been real crazy around here Chief. Was hoping maybe you or Tennessee could shed some light on it. We have had maybe two days of rain in the past 6-7 weeks maybe longer and we had a stretch in August where we had 90 degress or higher for nearly 3 weeks. Then all of a sudden September rolls in with no rain but last week we had 4-5 days where the low got down under 35 degrees. It actually frosted each of these days. With everything being so dry and the frost hitting the way it did I figured for sure that the sang around here would be burnt up but to my surprise a lot it looked really good. I was actually on a hill the other day that faced west with a little bit of a southern pitch to it. Sang should be burnt up and gone in there right? Nope. It was green just starting to turn yellow. Now I've been on several hillsides just like that one this season and the sang looks great. Last week I actually found a nice three pronger that still had green berries on it. How is that possible? Anyways just wanted to know your guys opinion on how that could be happening. I know its dry out and the sang is weighing heavy. I put 4 pounds of wet sang on the rack September the 3rd and it dried to 1.28 pounds. I don't know if I've ever had ginseng dry at such a good ratio. Anyways with the prices being surprisingly solid the way they are around here I've caught the ginseng flu and plan on getting out there pretty hard over the next few weeks. Good Lord willing.... Stay Safe Everyone...

Prices 3 years 6 months ago #42600

Couldn’t take sitting around the house today so I headed out to dig some yellow root and get a few cohosh plants to transplant here around the house. Was reading a few of your posts Chief and am really sorry to hear about your buddies sang getting poached. I have several patches here on my farm and every one of them are where I can see them at any time. I have close to 400 plants growing within 50 yards of my house. It’s hard to believe what some people will do to make a few dollars stealing someone’s ginseng. Anyways here are a few pictures of sang that I ran into today while digging yellowroot. I must be getting soft as I get older because I couldn’t bring myself to dig them. They just looked so beautiful there in the woods that I figured if they made it through the summer that they deserved to make it another year.
Attachments:

Prices 3 years 6 months ago #42601

Thought I’d put a few pictures on here of some of this years highlights.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.763 seconds

Who's Online

We have 414 guests and no members online

Login