* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Maine - snow and fur

Re:Maine - snow and fur 12 years 2 months ago #16405

TNhunter

Those are some pretty impressive catches!

I remember back in the early 90's(in Wisconsin), we were averaging about $18 per coon, and that was for just skinning and selling. The most we took was 38 coon. I remember some xlg coon brought about $36-38. Plus what ever we picked up dead in the road. I remember my wife was trained to pick up dead animals she found while driving down the road. I remember the day she came home with two nice large coon in the trunk of the car. She was so proud. I remember we got just over $40 for those two coon. Those were tough days financially, so money from furs was a big help.

We had a huge fur buyers shop in our area. And he would buy many Coon and other furs, but mostly coon that were only skun or in the round. He told me that he buys a minimum of 10,000 coon each year. They had a huge wal-in freezer that had thousands of skun unfleshed coon stacked up like firewood along each wall of that freezer. Pretty amazing.

We had a farmer in our area that trapped coon real heavy with his son. He told me he catches about 600-800 coon per year. They would only set traps that they could drive right up to the set. The father would drive and his son would jump out and check each set. Their best season was just over 980 coon and thats when the prices were $16-18 for average size coon. The farmer was bummed that they did'nt catch 1000. I expect they got paid about $18,000-20,000 that year for coon that were only skun out. Not too bad for about 2 1/2 months of trapping. They were truely Professional Trappers. Unfotunately, those high coon prices only lasted about four years.

I could only dream about catching that much fur!

classicfur

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Maine - snow and fur 12 years 2 months ago #16563

Here is a big old male bobcat, that me and Terry caught trapping season 2010-2011. We never weighed him but it looked unreal big. It had a huge head, on it. I havent posted pics in awhile so if this doesn't work just bare with me and i will figure it out.

Re:Maine - snow and fur 12 years 1 month ago #16579

hey sorry guys been a lil busy didn't know the pic didnt work i am gonna try again.

Re:Maine - snow and fur 12 years 1 month ago #16580

one more time.
Attachments:

Re:Maine - snow and fur 12 years 1 month ago #16581

Hillbilly,
That is some bobcat! We have some bobcats here and there in eastern and south eastern Ohio. Are bobcats of the size you are holding able to bring down larger prey like a small deer? I know most bobcats prey on small animals like rabbits, mice, birds etc. Always wondered if an unusually large bobcat like the one you are holding is capable of bringing down larger prey.
Latt

Re:Maine - snow and fur 12 years 1 month ago #16586

guys i have tried twice guys to put some more pics on w/a story so i m gonna go ahead and post my pics and if i have the time i will write on them.

And a couple more.

And here is one for all you trappers here in east ky coydogs aren't a problem yet just the old yotes, anyways when i pulled up to this one i was hesitant about shooting it. But upon further examination i could tell it was or at least half. It had the rub on the back where it was rutting, and it had big yellow eyes, and it stunk just like an ol yote. Anyways i thought at first it was somones elkhound.

And the total catch for the day

Re:Maine - snow and fur 12 years 1 month ago #16587

Well once again it never worked bear w/me fellows i will figure it out

Re:Maine - snow and fur 12 years 1 month ago #16595

one last time.

Re:Maine - snow and fur 12 years 1 month ago #16596

Finally sorry guys for all the posts now i will post the rest that i was telling you all about.

And finally the total catch for the day

Re:Maine - snow and fur 12 years 1 month ago #16597

The pics before were of the coydog and the days total catch. For some odd reason the other two didn't load one more last time.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Who's Online

We have 584 guests and no members online

Login