2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Storing dried roots for another year

Storing dried roots for another year 10 years 6 months ago #24072

Hoping someone can answer this... Can I store my dried ginseng roots for a year or two and sell them later when prices are hopefully higher? If so, what are some recommended methods of storing them?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Storing dried roots for another year 10 years 6 months ago #24074

Mississippi...

I have never stored any for selling the next year, but I do keep several nice roots after drying for my own personal consumption thru the year.

After they are good and dry I just pick out the ones I want to keep (I prefer small roots with lots of root hair and 20+ years age)... I just put them in a paper bag and fold the top down and put a rubber band around it.

When I finish eating one, I open the bag up and pick out the next one I want to eat.

I keep that bag right here in my home office - air conditioned, heat, low humidity, you know normal inside home conditions and I can't tell any difference in it (appearance wise) a year later.

It still looks just like it did after drying.

I have heard that it may lose a little more weight over time, but have never tested that myself.

If I happen to keep more roots than I eat in a year, when I sell the next years crop I will sell those year old keepers, and then keep back some from the current years batch to eat the next year.

I can't tell a bit of difference between the year old dry roots and the ones I kept and dried from the current years crop.

I think the main thing would be keeping them at normal room temps, low humidity and making sure no critters (bugs, mice, etc) get to them and eat em.

Below is a pic of a few of my eaters that have been dry for for almost a year now, just sitting in a paper bag in my home office.

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Storing dried roots for another year 10 years 6 months ago #24086

If you go by what TNhunter wrote, you can't go wrong! The key is a cool but dry place and up and away from rodents. I actually had some stored in a box top on the top shelf of my' bedroom closet that actually got pushed to the back a hidden by other items. It was about 5 years later before I found them and they were a little more shriveled up but perfectly good. I dug and dried some seng that year, mixd in the old stuff and the Ginseng Dealer never questioned any of it.

Just make sure to keep up with the Ginseng Laws in your State! You never know, they might pass a Law not allowing holding Ginseng roots over to the next year and you don't want to risk a fine and/or possible jail term.

Frank

Re:Storing dried roots for another year 10 years 6 months ago #24111

Thanks guys! I dug a few roots this week but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to dig enough to try and sell this year. I saw a good many plants this Spring during turkey season, but most of them aren't there now. It's been really hot and dry here in Mississippi this summer. I think the tops must have wilted early.

Alan

Re:Storing dried roots for another year 10 years 6 months ago #24112

TN gives good advice on storage.

However, if you actually intend to sell the roots on the market, you should really think this over carefully. Most all states (as far as I know) prohibit possession of uncertified ginseng in the closed season. Using my state of Ohio as an example, you must have your ginseng certified in order to keep it from one year to the next.

This is where the larger problem comes in. Exporters must obtain a yearly license from the USF&WS, and for each shipment, a unique CITES certificate which is year specific. So, if there is 3 hours of paperwork in a shipment of 100 lbs of ginseng going out of the country, there is another 3 hours of paperwork just for the 1/2 lb from the year before going with it. For this reason, it will likely be bought at a severe discount if at all.

The only other option is to lie about the year of harvest ...and frankly, that is a crime.

Best of luck to you.

Re:Storing dried roots for another year 10 years 6 months ago #24115

Thanks BCastle! Mississippi is a strange state. There aren't any state laws regarding ginseng. Not even a season for harvesting it. Pretty crazy I know. The only regulations that apply are federal... However the CITES certificate reducing the value could still be a problem.

Re:Storing dried roots for another year 10 years 6 months ago #24117

Mississippi wrote:

Thanks BCastle! Mississippi is a strange state. There aren't any state laws regarding ginseng. Not even a season for harvesting it. Pretty crazy I know. The only regulations that apply are federal... However the CITES certificate reducing the value could still be a problem.

That is great that you don't even have a season! They must feel that there is not enough Ginseng in Mississippi to worry about. Since it does get so hot there and since there is no season, you might want to start harvesting the tops and roots in early to mid August or at least check on it then to see if the berries are ripe. Once the berries are ripe, then that is when you want to dig it, plant the seed and reap the benefits now and years to come!

I guess the big question is, is where can you sell it since you probably don't have any Ginseng Dealers anywhere in Mississippi? Maybe TNhunter could hook you up with a Dealer in Middle Tennessee that would take it! You will probably have to sell it as Tennessee Ginseng and who would really know!

Good luck!

Frank

Re:Storing dried roots for another year 10 years 6 months ago #24118

I wouldn't get in a hurry here. I don't see Mississippi on the list of approved states (last year's list though). Which means wild ginseng may not be exported from the state at all. As a CITES listed species, federally, the USF&WS must approve the state's ginseng program before it will allow harvest and export.

You really need to get in touch with your DNR guys there to be sure you are ok doing anything with ginseng in your state.

Re:Storing dried roots for another year 10 years 6 months ago #24119

huntsman53 wrote:

You will probably have to sell it as Tennessee Ginseng and who would really know!

That would be a federal violation Frank ;)

You cannot buy ginseng from another state unless it is accompanied by a certificate of export and origin from the state of harvest.

Re:Storing dried roots for another year 10 years 6 months ago #24121

BCastle wrote:

huntsman53 wrote:

You will probably have to sell it as Tennessee Ginseng and who would really know!

That would be a federal violation Frank ;)

You cannot buy ginseng from another state unless it is accompanied by a certificate of export and origin from the state of harvest.

Could be, I really don't know! However, if the state does not even have a Ginseng harvesting season or program and if it is not even on the books anywhere in the state or even considered by the Feds, then maybe it is fair game just like Bloodroot, Black Cohosh, Golden Seal or other medicinal herb roots. This might take some checking into but once you enlighten someone that it is there in harvestable quantities, then the sh&t is going to hit the fan per see!

Frank

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 478 guests and no members online

Login