2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question... Bad Root

Question... Bad Root 10 years 6 months ago #24236

I dug a root yesterday that had a bad spot that was rotten on the side of it. I brought it home and cleaned it and let it soak over night. My question is if I dry it will a dealer probably cull it anyway? If so, I may plant it in my seed bed. I'll try to put up a pic of the root in question.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Question... Bad Root 10 years 6 months ago #24237

Mississippi wrote:

I dug a root yesterday that had a bad spot that was rotten on the side of it. I brought it home and cleaned it and let it soak over night. My question is if I dry it will a dealer probably cull it anyway? If so, I may plant it in my seed bed. I'll try to put up a pic of the root in question.

It is very likely that the Dealer will cull the root out but who knows! I think that it would be best to transplant it in your' seed bed. With a few years of growth, self-repair and not suffering more damage from rodents, the root will likely be in great sellable condition. In the meantime, reap the rewards of all of the seeds that the root and it's top will produce!

It might be a good idea to remove as much of the rot as possible and then try to seal the wound with something before or when you transplant it. I have often wondered, if a layer of plain old Elmers Glue might work in situations such as this or just pack a piece of guaze or newspaper up against the wound when you transplant it (i.e. just something to protect the wound until the root can heal itself)!

Frank

Re:Question... Bad Root 10 years 6 months ago #24239

I don't know for sure Mississippi. It might be considered damaged, but when you have one or two like that it doesn't really hurt the lot too badly.

I think Frank is right though. If you have a good spot, just transplant it and see what it does. I would removed any diseased tissue that isn't starting to repair. I don't think I'd do more than that though. Maybe a good shot of Alliette if it comes up in the spring would help if it is phytopthora.

Re:Question... Bad Root 10 years 6 months ago #24242

Throw it on the screen to dry and sell with the rest... wont hurt you at all.

Re:Question... Bad Root 10 years 6 months ago #24247

I'd replant and let it grow for a year or 3, that should help it heal and look more normal, plus gain a little more size and weight as well.

Re:Question... Bad Root 10 years 6 months ago #24267

Im with 5 dry it I do the root will b no different than one thats been chewed on by rodents or insects

Re:Question... Bad Root 10 years 6 months ago #24291

I dried one like that last year and after it was dry it looked fine. I did clean all I could off of it before hand.

Re:Question... Bad Root 10 years 6 months ago #24294

Good thing is it's just one root. Either way you choose to go advice wise should work for you. I have seen em like that before too.
Latt

Re:Question... Bad Root 10 years 6 months ago #24311

I agree with Frank to transplant the root.
Natural damages by other creatures add character to the wild roots over time and shows off strength and endurance of the plant. It is when men hastily dig and damage the roots that market value is usually lost.
I would use a rooting compound with a fungicide in it or a quick rinse in a 10 parts water to 1 part chlorine bleach solution(never soak over night)to sterilize as I do my stratified seed.
A gallon of good ripe berries should be worth upwards of a hundred dollars in the right hands.

Re:Question... Bad Root 10 years 6 months ago #24313

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to my way of thinking- if I am going to take the time to transplant roots to a seed bed then I want big healthy roots that I believe are disease free and stand a good chance of producing a big berry pod. I sure dont want to take a chance of introducing some disease to myseed bed.

I am not saying that my thoughts on this are correct, or better than somebody elses. Just explaining my point of view. You wont be discounted for a few roots with natural damage, so why not sell them.... :whistle:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 638 guests and no members online

Login