* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Beggining in Ginseng Wild Cultivation

Beggining in Ginseng Wild Cultivation 9 years 1 week ago #34958

Hope everyone is doing well.
I am looking at getting into growing ginseng. I am currently an uprising senior in college. I have taken a couple courses in botany and am looking at getting into growing wood cultivated ginseng. I have been doing a lot of research and talking to my botany professors about ginseng. I have about 10 acres on my families property that is perfect for growing ginseng according to what I have read. There are rattle snake ferns, christmas ferns, naturally growing ginseng, and yellow popular. I would like to plant an acre a year for 8 years until I have 8 acres of ginseng on rotation. I am currently in the process of clearing out an acre of underbrush and rocks and getting a ph sample to send to my extention office. I was going to by 1 lb of seed and 1 lb of rootlets. I understand that this will not cover an acre but I dont want to bight off more than I can chew until I gain experience. I am also going to harvest seeds from wild ginseng and put them through the stratification process for next year. If anybody has any seeds they would like to sell let me know, I may be interested. With that being said, I still have a few questions that I hope some experince growers can answer as well as share their expert advice and knowledge.
Is ginseng really all it is said to be profit wise?
What are the main concerns other than poltures when growing ginseng?
Is diseases something that happens a lot? If so how do I prevent these diseases?
Do I have to worry about animals?
From experience, how much does an acre of ginseng (1 plant a square foot) bring?
Where should I buy seeds?
Can I make a good living off ginseng? 100,000 dollars a year perhaps?
What have been your experiences with growing ginseng? All and any advice and tips is more than welcome. Also if you have any questions regarding what I have discovered through my research and through my classes and proffesors please ask. I am more than willing to share the knowledge that I have gained.
Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Beggining in Ginseng Wild Cultivation 9 years 1 week ago #34959

Welcome to the forum. First of all what state are you located in? Second will
you be growing wild simulated or woods grown? The best source for seed
needs to be as local as possible. All these factors will help determine the
earning potential per acre. Many dealers that buy ginseng also sell stratified seed from their area.

Re:Beggining in Ginseng Wild Cultivation 9 years 1 week ago #34960

Thanks for your reply. I am currently in western north carolina near asheville but I will be growing on my family farm located in southwest VA. I thought wood grown and wild simulated was the same thing? Since I plan on growing in the woods on a North east slope by clearing out under brush and rocks, raking away leaf litter, putting down seeds, mixing with soil, and then raking leaf litter back over ( with the excepting if its oak leaves).

Re:Beggining in Ginseng Wild Cultivation 9 years 1 week ago #34961

Wild simulated is sowing seed and letting nature take it's course. Woods grown may include a slight ammount of fertilizer and or pesticides. The latter will show up in the quality of your root and the price you receive.

Re:Beggining in Ginseng Wild Cultivation 9 years 1 week ago #34963

Oh okay. I do remember reading that. Sorry not familar with all the terminology quite yet. I plan on growing wild simulated.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

Who's Online

We have 427 guests and no members online

Login