Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Morels

Re:Morels 7 years 11 months ago #38249

Yellows.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Morels 7 years 11 months ago #38250

Hobbler,

This is my first year trying with the morels so I wont be a ton of help but a mushroom slurry from what i can tell needs spores(fresh shroom), a sugar to activate the spores (honey, molasses), food for spore (grain, flour, birdseed) and unfiltered water. Then you gotta worry about the mushroom bed which from what i can tell is the hard part. Ive basically been sacrificing one mushroom each trip i take and spreading slurries all over the place.

Best of luck,

John B

Re:Morels 7 years 11 months ago #38251

Trahn I'll try both only find a couple blacks usually.but find more yellows. This is only my third yr hunting mushrooms. Starting this weekend temps will finally b perfect n have had tons of rain. Gonna start looking next weekend.
Thx trahn n john

Re:Morels 7 years 11 months ago #38252

I would create two different mother beds for both blacks and yellows. What I do is I use wood ash, pellet fuel and grass seed. Dig up some soil about 6ft by 6ft. The wood ash is for PH control, the pellet fuel is for moisture control and the grass seed is for nutrients. The grass seed I soak in water overnight, then I Pressure sterilize to kill the seed so it doesn't grow in my beds. Pellet fuel I soak overnight and this expands a lot so alittle goes a long way. For this size bed I would use two 5 gallon buckets of wood ash , 10-15 lbs. of grass seed and about 1/2 5 gallon bucket pellet fuel before soaking. Mix all into fresh dug soil then add spore wash water right away. I have had my best results using spawn bags with sclerotium formation, but with spore wash water it just takes longer. These would be my mother beds that I feed and dig from to create new area's I want to fruit them in (which would be another topic).

Re:Morels 7 years 11 months ago #38253

Outstanding, I have been using morel (Unsalted) wash water for years to spread in the forest. Never thought about making a recipe to pour it on. I will try it too.

My 2 cents worth. I could be mistaken, but I use molasses or Karo syrup to add to my water when I put the spore water in a sanitized milk jug. I do not use honey as honey is resistant to molds and fungi. So I surmised that honey may have an adverse affect on morel spores as they are a fungi.
I have no proof of this as it is only a thought.
Latt

Re:Morels 7 years 11 months ago #38254

I'm not sure Latt. I've always used honey and never had any problems. Maybe his year I'll try some molasses or Karo to see if the results are different. Thanks

Re:Morels 7 years 11 months ago #38255

Couple questions trahn
Any other way to sterilize the seed to kill it? What r the spawn bags u make these or can u buy them? Thxs for all ur help

Re:Morels 7 years 11 months ago #38256

www.gmushrooms.com/morel/index.htm One of the vendors that carries yellow spawn bags. If you google morel mushroom spawn you will find some vendors. You could boil the seed but you really have to watch that you just simmer and not hard boil. If you boil to hard the seed will expand from the hull that's not what you want. I would simmer my seed for about 1hr once the hour is up I would stain right away and lay that steaming seed out about 1 inch thick on a flat surface. You want that seed still steaming to get that excessive moisture out that is the key. I would every 5 mins move the seed around on that flat surface to keep the steam coming off until completely cooled. The moisture level will be perfect.

Re:Morels 7 years 11 months ago #38257

Thxs again trahn

Re:Morels 7 years 11 months ago #38258

got home from work and my loving woman had 38 black mushrooms on the counter top...

Moderators: latttrahn007Shroomdawg
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

Who's Online

We have 243 guests and no members online

Login