2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Notes for the season

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18702

22k sure makes that one ripe berry I found yesterday seem pretty paltry:unsure: That one was on a wild plant, but it sure looks like it will be a little while before there are many more that are ripe. I'm hoping to get one thousand, but even that number will take a good deal of good luck to get to. I'll be planting all of them this fall.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18703

Hugh - a lot of my 3 leafers went down already too. I'm more inclined to believe that it was due to the extreme dry conditions we had during May and June. Hate to hear that plants you've found have been poached already. Did you notify the authorities?

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18704

5prong,
I'm sure the heat has been a factor since it was blistering hot here for 2 weeks or more. I took a few pictures of the 3 leafers to show what is happening to them in the mountains. Since I don't want to get \"dinged\" for too much negativity, I'm going to add a nice picture of a rainbow to make Darrin G envious. We'll find out what he has been doing.
Hugh
Attachments:

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18705

I have to fight with this editing software everytime I post a picture. We'll try this again.

Hugh
Attachments:

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18706

This, and a few of it's sisters are what got poached.
Hugh
Attachments:

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18707

One last attempt.:S

5prong,
I have been trying to get in touch with the USFS officer that is in charge of the ginseng program for 1-1/2 months with no luck. He doesn't answer his phone and he will not return calls. I checked with the regional office to buy a permit to dig legally and I found out that you can only get one on the morning of the opening date. You have to stand in line and it is $30.00 for a compartment. They sell \"first come-\"first serve\" and the lady told me they line up before daylight. I have all those plants in the ground and no assurance of being able to get to them when they are big enough to dig. No where have I ever seen that they only sell in compartments on a \"first come\"-\"first serve\" basis. This information needs to be made public on this board.
Hugh
Attachments:

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18708

Hugh, I understand your frustration with this. A couple of years ago I decided to go sang hunting in the Wayne National Forest. I called ahead of time and found out that I could only pick up a permit in person. I spent quite a bit of time studying topo maps and figured out exactly where I wanted to go. When I got down there and paid for my permit. the lady pulled out a map and proceeds to show me all the shaded areas that were off limits. I had to spend the next hour figuring out where I wanted to go. It was still a nice day in the woods, bit definitely. was frustrating to start with.

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18709

Almost forgot, beautiful rainbow! I really enjoy fishing too. I'm not a fly rod guy, but there is a nearby river I float for smallmouth. Hoping to go in the next couple of weeks.

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18710

Hugh, 5prong

I started stratifying my seeds for the first time last September. I will probably dig them up around Oct 1st, thats when I hope to start planting them.

I can't wait to dig up the stratified seeds and see what they look like. I hope to find some nicely swollen seeds with some of them smiling.

It seems like it took forever, to get to the point of harvesting a sizable amount of berries.

Also, Nice looking Rainbow.

Thanks, classicfur.

Re:Notes for the season 11 years 7 months ago #18711

Hugh,

Hate to hear about the poaching.
Squirrel season opens up here in Ky. Aug. 18 and you can bet the seng will start to disappear.
That is a nice rainbow. Makes me hungry.

classicfur,
What kind of strat box do you use and how deep do you bury?

rootman

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds

Who's Online

We have 179 guests and no members online

Login