2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: International American Ginseng Expo, 12/7/12

Re:International American Ginseng Expo, 12/7/12 11 years 3 months ago #21788

Thanks for the report Whit. I sure hope to attend if there is another event like this. Sure sounds like it was informative.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:International American Ginseng Expo, 12/7/12 11 years 3 months ago #21794

Whit, what did learn about success and failure of growing ginseng?

Re:International American Ginseng Expo, 12/7/12 11 years 3 months ago #21805

Whit,
Were there any individuals there that are in the process of planting seed and growing some seng. Just curious to hear of their story if there were any.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:International American Ginseng Expo, 12/7/12 11 years 3 months ago #21807

According to the survey that we did there, about 80% of attendees were \"growers\". From the folks I talked with they were in various stages of production.

Re:International American Ginseng Expo, 12/7/12 11 years 3 months ago #21808

Beyfuss gave his presentation on \"why woodland ginseng plantings fail\" and estimated upwards of 90% failure rate.

Re:International American Ginseng Expo, 12/7/12 11 years 3 months ago #21809

The stories about planting and growing were far overshadowed by the presentations given from the other aspects of our industry. I heard more stories about growing and it's many facets from other attendees, than from presenters.

there were many topis that were presented, and were very interesting; full of relavent info. If you look at the program on the first posting to this thread, you can see the other topics.

As Tanner said, there were many statistics given out. The two surveys were really interesting as these indicated the prevailing attitude of everyone in the room, from attendees to presenters.

Re:International American Ginseng Expo, 12/7/12 11 years 3 months ago #21821

What were the reasons given for such a high failure rate?

Re:International American Ginseng Expo, 12/7/12 11 years 3 months ago #21822

Welcome to the forum, TonyL.

Here's the link to Dr Beyfuss's talk on the failure rate. It's a free download, in case you want it.

docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites...xOTY1M2RkNjBjMTNhMGM

I think that there may be some video from the primary sponsor, NCNPA, at some point in the future. I just checked their website, and nothing there yet. However, the entire event was recorded [including some vids I think] by a pro soundman located near Etowah, NC.

IN an earlier post within this thread, I said: \" I heard more stories about growing and it's many facets from other attendees, than from presenters.\" Perhaps that was misleading. I meant that personal stories were more prelevant amongst the growers in attendance, while the presenters were showing obstacles' overcome, and some specific \"how-to\" stuff. Robert Eidus of Eagle Feather Organic Farm had a very good talk about converting shabby, rocky soil to growable dirt using compost and eggshell surry to enhance the Ca, as well as creating soil that would actually grow stuff. He had quite a display there with his organically raised herbs from his farm.

Re:International American Ginseng Expo, 12/7/12 11 years 3 months ago #21833

Thanks Whitjr, much appreciated!

Re:International American Ginseng Expo, 12/7/12 11 years 3 months ago #21834

Great recap and discussion, everyone!

It was great to meet those I did meet on here and put a face with the name. Thanks for coming up and talking to me and pointing yourself out.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 147 guests and no members online

Login