2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Attn: TNHunter Rock Chip Soil Test?

Attn: TNHunter Rock Chip Soil Test? 9 years 2 months ago #34307

Well, TNHunter I had been reading all through these threads on growing seng. After seeing those sweet looking roots you posted a picture of from down on that bluff with the stone chips, I had kept hoping to see a thread where you got that soil analized. I have read them all and wanted to ask you more directly if you had indeed gotten that soil tested since I've seen no mention of it. Them roots had nice rings and a great wild look and yet were fairly young. Would appreciate if you would share the results or if you havn't gotten that soil tested I sure would be more than willing to donate to the cause! You could shoot me an email if you prefer or post it on here. Either way I would be really greatful and it would kinda give all us growers a direction to make our soil lean towards or hope to already have in place.

I just took a sample in this past Monday from the best spot I ever found seng in (here in Southeast Ohio)and will be posting pics of the results as soon as they come in.

Have a safe and enjoyable super bowl day youall.

Thanks,
Jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Attn: TNHunter Rock Chip Soil Test? 9 years 2 months ago #34356

Jim...

I still have that bag of rock chip bluff soil in a zip lock back in my office.

Never sent it off for testing.

Just never made it to the top of the to do list.

I am going to retire one of these days (Good Lord Willing) and then I will hopefully have more time for stuff like that.

TNhunter

Re:Attn: TNHunter Rock Chip Soil Test? 9 years 2 months ago #34374

TN:
Thanks for the reply. Hope your retirement pans out for you. Seems like I work more now that I am self employed but it's nice to work for someone that truly appreciates your work, unlike most employers. I bet Uncle Sam's IRS appreciates it more too.

I will post the results here from that healthy patch I found, that had seng of all ages everywhere, once they come in. Should be by end of this week.

Jim

Re:Attn: TNHunter Rock Chip Soil Test? 9 years 2 months ago #34387

:laugh: some email notification got my attention to some activity out here.
hello cuz .. senger66
I started some planting in '06 and took soil sample to the University Extension.but after reading this forum, most people were against any soil prep, to qualify wild woods grown, wild simulated ... or what ever I stopped any fertilizing but did see that it helped in the place I used some.
Have been out of commission a bit in the past few years, but I still have kept in touch with our woods.Our patches are near the house and easy to get to. They ('06) have done well and I sold a bit last year, my local customers like to get it fresh,got $90 per ounce, I dug only a half pound,half of which was for myself.
Glad to see \"The Legend\"still lives on .. Jimseng
Attachments:

Re:Attn: TNHunter Rock Chip Soil Test? 9 years 2 months ago #34388

jimseng,

He probably had some good sized roots but they would be considered woodsgrown maybe cultivated. Sometimes you will hear of people getting outrageous pries for a few roots like that on ebay. The reality is a lot of people can't tell cultivated from wild! I've turned down a lot of seng that has been grown behind houses and barns and for me just at a glance I can see it has been lightly fertilized.

Re:Attn: TNHunter Rock Chip Soil Test? 9 years 2 months ago #34390

jimseng:
Hey there long lost cousin! Sorry for so close a user name. I usually throw the '66 on my user name for whatever so I guess that fronts my age out. I did start seeing your posts from a couple years back and then they dropped off. Glad your planting has worked out.

I am hoping to see at least a couple of my soil results match that sample I am patiently waiting on. I kinda ruled out the fertilizing part too. Def don't need gypsum and the bonemeal has me nervous cause of critters and it making hard roots so I pretty much will do more harm than good if I did anything. Not counting what rootman said as that's another negative.

Rootman:
I hear you on the fertilized looking roots. The ones I did dig from the location I am waiting on the results from were very carrot looking and smooth. I was honest and told the buyer about them and he didn't care as most my roots were very old and out of the 311 I had they weighed 1.75 lbs. so I think he was impressed at the bulby look of most enough to overlook the dozen or two that were smooth. I don't think they were smooth and carrotlike only because of the nutrient rich soil, but the looseness of it. I dug every root with my hands only. When I got the soil two weeks ago I just brushed the leaves aside and could put my hand halfway to my elbow in that soft soil. I just hope for a near match to some of my soil as I got six samples in only a four acre +- area and thought I could narrow down the sweet spots. My soil is normal (for here) texture so the wild sim should look wild as they will have to work for depth in the soil of my woods.

Jim

Re:Attn: TNHunter Rock Chip Soil Test? 9 years 2 months ago #34449

To all interested, here is a soil analysis on the best patch of seng I ever found. All plants tall having strong stems and were dark green with tough leaves and youngens everywhere. Nice heavy count of plump berries too.

If anyone else has any samples from killer patches please post so we can see our own control studies.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Who's Online

We have 591 guests and no members online

Login