2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Any one else getting exctited?!

Any one else getting exctited?! 7 years 10 months ago #38464

Really glad tree planting season is over! The biggest job was 46,000 white pine. My blisters blisters had blisters.

I have some quick blood work this morning then the kids and I are packing lunches and headed up into the woods to check out our plots. My daughters and I also planted seeds in the sugar bush, I'll have to search really hard for those little strawberry leaves.

Hope everyone is making out well. I'll try to have some pics up this afternoon or tomorrow, Fingers crossed :laugh:
Clay

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Any one else getting exctited?! 7 years 10 months ago #38473

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13322107_10156937180770392_6882712946743435168_n.jpg?oh=23d137b1d028953652aa7476ec87e3bb&oe=57CF75B5

This is the seed bed, only one rootlet is up at the moment, the top of the bed had most of the seed i planted come up.
Attachments:

Re:Any one else getting exctited?! 7 years 10 months ago #38474

46,000 white pines. Nice.
Back in the late 70's me and my dad helped his buddy plant a bunch of pines. We did it by hand in rows with some kind of tool that you stuck in the ground, plopped in the sapling and moved on. Not sure how many we helped with but he had acres and acres planted. They logged it eventually, but I swear some of it still stands on top the hill here and they when I drive by the ridges in the Fallsburg area of Ohio.
Latt

Re:Any one else getting exctited?! 7 years 10 months ago #38475

NY DEC has us planting mostly European Larch this year, Normally its Spruce but I think they are worried about disease. The pine job was a beautiful clear cut in sandy soil so it went quick, bags only hold 125-250 trees (they were pretty big).

I finally got a picture to work with a link up above, tried posting several times on the Ipad and gave up.

Re:Any one else getting exctited?! 7 years 10 months ago #38479

Between high school and college I worked for the reforestation division of a timber company Willamette, and after they had logged these large tracts of land (they clear cut most)... we would go in and kill the rest of the timber (mostly trash trees and bent or hollows). We cut a ring around the tree with a hatchet and then another guy came along behind us and squirted a chemical in that cut that did the tree in.

We did that all summer... then in the fall they would cut fire stops around those big tracts of land with bulldozier, and we would burn it...

Then in the late fall and winter months we planted pines, mostly loblollie pines, and a few other varieties.

We started working around 7 am and would finish by noon most days and planted 1500 pines per day like that. Got paid 60.00 for planting those 1500 pine trees.

We used what we called a pine setter, a manual hand tool, you basically slammed into the ground and worked it back then forward to open up a hole, then you put the little pine seedling in the hole (roots in - being careful not to J root them), once in the hole we slammed the blade off that pine setter in behind the hole and pushed it forward to fill the hole and then we stomped it to set the dirt around the roots good...

Took 3 steps and did that again... until we were done.

In the summer months when were hacking all of those rings around the trees... there were 25 or so guys working in a long line, and we found every yellow jacket and hornets nest in the woods, and killed several copperheads each week and usually a couple of rattlers.

That was back in the early 80's.

We often found ginseng during the day while working and would stay after work and dig.

Dracs - good luck with your plantings.

TNHunter

Re:Any one else getting exctited?! 7 years 10 months ago #38490

Sure am found a few big three prongs Saturday afternoon while out scouting [img]

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds

Who's Online

We have 266 guests and no members online

Login