2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Root Quality

Root Quality 7 years 8 months ago #38878

So I've been planting Ginseng for about 4 years now so I decided to dig up a test root from my 1st year planting to see how they are coming along. I chose one at random. I've provided the pic below. It's about 4 inches long and is a large 5 leafer. My soil is hard and rocky and to keep things as close to wild as possible I provided no amendments. So the growth seems slow, it's a 4yo 5 leafer after all. What do people think about the quality of this root?

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Root Quality 7 years 8 months ago #38882

Ittiz,
I am by no means a root quality expert. However, that root has some nice wrinkles at the top but the bottom 2/3 rds is \"Carrot Like\". So this particular root is not considered to be extremely desirable IMHO. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Good luck,
Latt

Re:Root Quality 7 years 8 months ago #38890

very interesting looking root for sure...

Re:Root Quality 7 years 8 months ago #38891

Top part of root looks good, bottom is quick growth probably from the past years growth. The root is just a straight carrot shaped root which is not as desirable as a two or three branched root, however it is a one root sample. Out of the same patch there will be different types of roots it depends on your percentage of the good types.
From the size the root is now you are probably looking at around 10 or longer years to have quality salable roots. The main thing however is having a location that can grow disease free roots to maturity, root quality and size will vary, but will still be valuable.

Re:Root Quality 7 years 8 months ago #38896

Thanks for the info. There are two and three prongers as well, but I selected one plant at random. Already put it back in the ground. I'm kind of surprised at the growth spurt considering it's been super dry here this year.

Re:Root Quality 7 years 8 months ago #38900

I assume the plant shot down all of that lower root in search of water. Just my guess but they say letting a potted plant's soil dry out some between waterings helps root growth.

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds

Who's Online

We have 373 guests and no members online

Login