2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3 prong 1 year root!

3 prong 1 year root! 6 years 11 months ago #39855

Hey guys. I planted 1/2 acre wild simulated last year and some of my early seeds that have sprouted are 2 prongs. Today I found a 3 prong comming up!
Getting tons of rain now.. should see more seeds sprouting. I only see a few hundred when I walk around the whole plot. I planted these seeds fall 2016. 9-10lbs of seed was put down.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:3 prong 1 year root! 6 years 11 months ago #39856

Re:3 prong 1 year root! 6 years 11 months ago #39857

Greenboy...

I don't think you are seeing 2 prongs and 3 prongs from stratified seed that was planted last fall and germinated this spring.

The norm is a 3 leafer... single stem with no forks, and 3 leaves.

I have seen several over the years that come up with 4 leaves, and even a few that had the full 5 leaf set on a first year sprout but still only one stem, no forks.

I have never seen any first year sprouts that were 2 prongs.

I suspect you may have had some wild seng growing in the area that you planted, and those 2 and 3 prongs you are seeing are some wild seng that is just coming up in your planting beds.

Of course now seng does some odd stuff at times (I had a 6 prong in my seed producing bed a couple years ago)... but I have never seen stratified seed that sprouted first year 2 and 3 prongs. Never heard of anyone that post here of having that experience either.

If you have any Pictures of them I would love to see them.

I would bet that if you mark that 3 prong and dig it up this fall and inspect it, you will find a root neck that has a few flats on it (3-5 years old). You can plant it right back after inspecting it.

Good Luck !

TNHunter

Re:3 prong 1 year root! 6 years 11 months ago #39858

I'll dig it up tomorrow to see, but to my understanding I never had any wild seng on my land. I've lived here for quite awhile and walk the woods nearly every day and never found any. But I'll see! It seemed very odd to me too but I'll look at the root! I see some stems with 5 leafers as well. Will let u know tomorrow
Thanks TN

Re:3 prong 1 year root! 6 years 11 months ago #39878

it was wild seng TN, sorry this is my first year growing and hardly even see real wild seng! u are welcome to delete this posting. sorry for the confusion and thanks for the info

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds

Who's Online

We have 661 guests and no members online

Login