2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: So....that sucked

So....that sucked 5 years 11 months ago #41085

I was going to start my ginseng crop off with a bang this year being as I have never planted it before....so I bought 150 3 year old roots from Wildgrown as well as Hsu Ginseng in Wisconsin. Planted them all late last fall, and this spring, no plants. I watched videos on how to plant them and followed exactly. I went and dug some up yesterday, and the only roots that I dug up were just soft and mushy. It was an ideal environment with some companion plants there as well. Now I'm just hoping the 2 lbs of seed do better than that!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

So....that sucked 5 years 11 months ago #41086

that does suck...hope the seeds do great for you......

So....that sucked 5 years 10 months ago #41125

Chieftain wrote: that does suck...hope the seeds do great for you......

Yes I actually am seeing some of the seeds come up now, we had a tough spring with 2 feet of snow in the middle of April so that is good they are alive and well.
The beds I planted in are thick with other woodland plants, should I just leave them or should I pull some of them? the ginseng has a lot of competition, but I suppose that is part of the natural habitat

So....that sucked 5 years 10 months ago #41126

It is natural for ginseng to be right in there growing with all that other stuff... but too much other stuff could be tough for a new baby seng plant to deal with. Especially if the other stuff is taller and giving them too much shade.

I have some that I have grown in places like that and for the fist 2-3 years (when my seng was small) I eliminated some of the other vegetation - just pulled it or cut it off, to help my young seng get more light. Now that they are taller and nice 3 prongs mostly, they are doing fine without my help.

Too little other vegetation and the seng stands out - easier for poachers to spot. So don't clear out to much of the other stuff. Keep enough to hide them some.

Good Luck

TNHunter

So....that sucked 5 years 10 months ago #41131

Thanks TN, went through and cut out some of the larger plants around the baby seng yesterday. Man there is lots of those little three leafers coming up. Pretty exciting for a first timer! I can't understand why more 20 years don't get their nose out of their phone and do things like this, man do I enjoy being out in the woods. Here is a pic of a nice un I found
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds

Who's Online

We have 299 guests and no members online

Login