2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: NEW to this!!

Re:NEW to this!! 14 years 10 months ago #1251

I went to a few places that I planted and some HAS come up. The little patch here at the house is looking good! I can not wait till I can go to the big sites and see how they are doing. Things are looking good so far. I hope to have more to tell in the next week or two. All of the leaves have a lot of holes in them anything I could do to stop them?
Kelly

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:NEW to this!! 14 years 10 months ago #1279

Went to the plots at one site and the first thing that I saw was a JACK IN THE PULPIT right in the middle of it in full blume. the rest of the plants looked good. I pulled some of the big weeds I left a lot just to keep it hidden from the road. guess I will go back later and mulch with Maple leaves. I need to go to other patches and see how they are.
Anything else I need to think about??

Kelly

Re:NEW to this!! 14 years 7 months ago #1525

Just a little update! Went to my other plot this weekend found qite a bit growing! Great to see, I spread some raked and in other places I poked holes in the dirt and put in seed both ways seem to work well for me. I have a lot of nice one year plants this year. I started raking the leaves back to get plots ready for this years planting, I have a big pile of maple leaves to use as mulch for my first year plants.
Just want to thank everyone for the help on this site I took all of the advice the best I could and put it to work. It seems to work so far!!

Re:NEW to this!! 14 years 6 months ago #2597

Just another update I got more seeds this year, started to plant last weekend. These I did in rows seemed to work good for me last year so I will try it again in differant ways in different places to see what works best over time. I did find some two prongs growing wild, someone must have dug there before I got the place. It seemed that all of the ways that I tried last year worked fair, some I poked holes, some I planted in rows, some I just spread the seeds and raked them in. I wish I would have tried this years ago. With all of the help I have had on this site I might get somewhere with this someday.

Re:NEW to this!! 14 years 6 months ago #2598

kelly which way do u think worked the best. Last year i just started buying seeds. So in the past i just always polked a hole and planted the berrie. Have had excellent success with that route, but now that i am ordering a whole lot more looking for the fastest but most effectve.

Re:NEW to this!! 14 years 6 months ago #2601

The rows seem to work the best for me,But it could be that it is the most uniform way. The poking of the holes also worked well spreading them out and raking them in not so well That could be because of the depth that some get covered. Its not as uniform as the other ways. I am not sure but I will try it all three ways again this year and see again.
I am still very new to this and a lot to learn!!!!

Re:NEW to this!! 14 years 6 months ago #2603

thanks for the info. I'm not really new to growing it just the different ways to plant. But i would say that on the raking in u waste a lot of seeds also. But if one doesn't have a whole lot of time i would say that is the best route. But me i don't have a whole lot of money to be going and wasting seeds. Plus i want to give every seed a chance on coming up. I am going to try a small test plot though on raking them in hopefully it goes well for me. One mistake i will tell u though i learnt last year the hard way. Make sure your mulch stays on. I neveer checked on one of my plots last year until about mid april and all of the mulch had blown off and i lost probably eighty percent of seeds in that plot.

Re:NEW to this!! 14 years 6 months ago #2605

I never worried much about the mulch I have always just let the leaves fall back over the plot. Guess I will look at that a little more now. Thanks for the info,!
I do agree that you lose a lot of seeds racking them in. I do like the tring different ways just to see what will work the best. I try to keep my plots small 10X10 to experiment with and I spread them out on different parts of the property.Guess one day I will run out of space,but I like to keep it as wild grown as I can for now.

Re:NEW to this!! 14 years 6 months ago #2670

hey kelly started my planting today. I planted about four oz. i did one big plot 5 by 50 and did row planting in it. I planted each one, one at a time. I did another small plot the same way. And i also did another 5 by 30 plot with spreading them by hand. I then stepped all over the plot making sure all seeds got in contact with the soil. It was much faster than one at a time it probably took me fifteen min, compared to the one big plot one at a time. it took about an hour and half. We will see though in the spring. I also used straw for mulch this year just to make sure i had mulch on.

Re:NEW to this!! 14 years 6 months ago #2704

I am going to some bigger plots this year, I just wanted to see if I could even get it to grow or not.
I have about half a pound this year, I hope it does as good as the ones I planted last year. I think a lot of this I'll poke holes and plant. I did make some smaller plots that I will plant in rows, I hope that in ten yers or so it will be hard to tell that it was planted. The only thing that I have added to the soil is some gypsum, I have read that that helps. Any ideas on the gypsum?

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 166 guests and no members online

Login