2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: TIS THE SEASON... OR SEASON LEAVING EARLY?

TIS THE SEASON... OR SEASON LEAVING EARLY? 9 years 5 months ago #32040

Thought I'd start a new tread and see how's your region for ginseng going. In my region its been very wet more rain than usual and several earlier days of cooler temperatures than usual also, that being said with all that from what I'm seeing the sang plants here are mostly yellow and a few stems are already braking away at top of ground. How's this playing out further up north. Typically sang last till bout the 3rd week of Oct here in NC but this year looking like to be mostly died back in a week to two weeks max. Its bout over:(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:TIS THE SEASON... OR SEASON LEAVING EARLY? 9 years 5 months ago #32041

wow, I hate to hear that. I'm here in east Tennessee and went couple days ago and most of the ginseng was still green as can be with a few tips turning yellow, and i'm up high in the mountains. I'm hoping to get a few more weeks in at least. I know when it starts to turn it turns fast with a few cool nights on the way. I've found that each ginseng plant seems to have it's own personality. I know it was just a couple weeks into September and I came across a nice patch of ginseng and every plant was green except this one 4 prong which was completely yellow and laying over. It got me thinking what made that one plant decide to turn so early. Such a beautiful and mysterious plant.

Re:TIS THE SEASON... OR SEASON LEAVING EARLY? 9 years 5 months ago #32056

Central Indiana 90% yellow plants and the trees are beginning to shed leaves. Soon I'll be dreaming of next seasons hunt. Its such a long 11 months till then. Hope everyone's having a great responsible harvest this year. Now if only dry prices would begin their climb.

Re:TIS THE SEASON... OR SEASON LEAVING EARLY? 9 years 5 months ago #32096

I'm in South Central Indiana. The plants in the area I'm hunting now are probably 40% green, 40% yellow, and the other 20% are somewhere in between. If the leaves don't fall, I might have another two to three weeks of hunting. If they start raining down, my season will come to a close. Whatever happens I have no complaints. Life has treated me pretty good this year.

Re:TIS THE SEASON... OR SEASON LEAVING EARLY? 9 years 5 months ago #32098

here in western pa the plants were hanging in there very well for late Sept.nice and green mostly but now it's very dry and although I didn't see any sang the last time I went out a few days ago the companion plants were half green but parched and wilting

Re:TIS THE SEASON... OR SEASON LEAVING EARLY? 9 years 5 months ago #32110

Im in SW Indiana and Id say ours are pretty close to Jaquos. Id say as long as temps dont drop dramatically and the cold fall rains hold off we will hopfully get another 2-3 weeks left. My fathers B-day is oct 14th and it seems like thats about the time every year I hang up my diggin tool.

Re:TIS THE SEASON... OR SEASON LEAVING EARLY? 9 years 5 months ago #32120

Southern Middle TN... and I went on a hunt on my neighbors property yesterday evening. He wanted to know if he had any seng on his place and we went and checked it out.

He is more up the main hollow than me and his place is a little higher and dryer..

But we did find some seng, mostly lil 2 prongs and I would say the majority (60% or so) were yellow. Love that color and it sure makes it easy for a newbie to find a little.

We found 4 or 5 - 3 prongs on our short hunt, and harvested two of them.

I kept 1 root and he did too.

He learned a lot about ginseng and how to find it and is planning on stewerding his to increase the population. I told him if he would just go down there every year in mid sept and plant the berries (like I showed him)... it would increase. Might not get real big, but he could increase his population over the years by doing that.

Anyway... It was a big change from when I hunted last weekend in the percent that I saw yellow.

We have not had any rain to speak of in 3-4 weeks now. Getting pretty dang dry. Now on down the main hollow on those deeper hollows much more of it is probably still green.

TNhunter

Re:TIS THE SEASON... OR SEASON LEAVING EARLY? 9 years 5 months ago #32859

Sang in my area now is mostly gone. There is one here and there that's still got a prong or two holding on. This is a earlier end to a season than usual, about 2 weeks. So now its time for the fresh market to come to a end and see what the dry does through the next couple weeks. We have had rain for last two days and gonna rain though wed here in NC. How's it coming for everyone else? Your season over?

Re:TIS THE SEASON... OR SEASON LEAVING EARLY? 9 years 5 months ago #32861

I went on my last hunt yesterday, dug four roots in a place where I should have found a bag full. We had some very hard rains in the last few days.

Re:TIS THE SEASON... OR SEASON LEAVING EARLY? 9 years 5 months ago #32862

Western NC has a real early fall, trees are on fire with every colour but green. Ginseng is nowhere to be found. My season ended early this year. Raining like hell with a cold front close to freezing did it in this year. Gods way of saying, \"that's enough\".... I guess.. lol Hope everyone had a great harvest this season, I did... Always fun, always an adventure. Getting ready for old man winter to rear his ugly head.

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds

Who's Online

We have 448 guests and no members online

Login