2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New digger but not stupid

New digger but not stupid 9 years 5 months ago #32447

Im new this year at digging. Have always been interested in Ginseng and other herbal plants. Have about a half pound dry I picked opening day. Went on my first excursion to a dealer who is close to where I live in Iowa. He quoted me 600.00 a pound but when I got to his place he claimed the price had dropped to 75.00 a pound. I promptly left telling him I would throw the Ginseng away before letting him have it. This is Ginseng from 5 to 20 years old. While Im not an expert as yet, I wont waste my time with liars and cheats. I have a half pound of legally dug ginseng on private property that I know is totally wild. Anyone know who is a buyer?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:New digger but not stupid 9 years 5 months ago #32449

Smart move Wapsi Willie. I don't blame you and how you responded to that situation. I have been digging for almost 10 years and have had the same dealer the whole time. But since the market went down these past few days and this crisis in Hong Kong is to blame everyone with any common knowledge of ginseng digging and selling. Knows that its a lot of hard work to harvest it and then find a descent buyer. Mine is even acting weird and being shady with prices. One day not buying the next is.... So I am oing to do what I always do, make life work till after thanksgiving then cash out big. I did that last year and made $1250.00 a dry lb. Im in NC. Sorry about your dealer issues, its nation wide my friend. :unsure:

Re:New digger but not stupid 9 years 5 months ago #32597

Alan Rutenbeck in Baldwin is the only buyer I am aware of in the area since Wiebke quit buying. I have sold to him for many years and never had aproblem. His number is 563 673 6931

Re:New digger but not stupid 9 years 5 months ago #32626

Many time, it's the seller beware. Negotiating your best price is tricky. Stick to your gut feelings.

Welcome to this forum!

Re:New digger but not stupid 9 years 5 months ago #32639

as you said you are a new digger, you do not PICK ginseng, you dig it.

Re:New digger but not stupid 9 years 5 months ago #32665

Picking refers to selection of the plants I dug. Arent we getting a little picky about the pick of words I choose to pick. I use a pick to dig while chewing on a toothpick. Lighten up brother!

Re:New digger but not stupid 9 years 5 months ago #32667

LOL :laugh:

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds

Who's Online

We have 329 guests and no members online

Login