2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pa prices

Re:Pa prices 9 years 4 months ago #33863

westernPaBilly wrote:

I think the thing I've learned from this thread is that unless one gives some specifics like dealers names, time frame etc. it may very well be a lot of BS

You're
right about that. I had several calls this year from diggers claiming prices quoted from other dealers but what they didn't know was I may have talked to that same dealer and I knew what he was offering. Can't blame them for trying to drive prices up but this may have hurt some people that could have gotten better prices earlier!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Pa prices 9 years 4 months ago #33865

I can't help but notice the local markets in PA seem to be getting less competitive over the past few seasons.

There has been a shift in consumer demand from a stubby style trimmed down root to a large mountain style root with lots of free flowing fiber and long neck attached and intact which may be reflecting the price in some of the local areas.

Ironically it is not purely by coincidence that a good percentage of the roots dug in PA are being sought after by the buyer in Bethlehem.

Look at the local price in NY & VT. These wild plants don't realize on which side of the political border of PA & NY they are growing and many have similar if not the same characteristics. I do believe however that many of the habits of the ginseng harvesters and handlers change from one side of the border to the other thus the dramatic difference in local market price structure.

As I have stated before regarding our NC markets versus NY & VT markets we have a good percentage of high end wild ginseng roots growing in all areas along the Appalachian Mtns however the NC harvesters and handlers tend to dilute the NC market value by collecting and marketing a larger percentage of undesirable small and damaged root.

Others local markets in sections like TN & KY are diluted even more so resulting in even lower prices for these very common commercial roots and again reflected in they're local market pricing.

The definition of insanity is, \" doing the same thing over and over and expecting to get a different result\". Change is constant.

It's time to get with the program and I'm not referring to a TV program but an international consumer driven market program.

Meanwhile I will ask any of the root diggers that are familiar with a plant commonly growing in PA named
Baptisia tinctoria alias \"wild indigo or horsefly weed\" plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=bati
to get in touch with me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as I have a good demand for the dried roots
and wish to negotiate contracts to purchase them.

Re:Pa prices 9 years 4 months ago #33877

How do we as local dealers help educate diggers and ourselves to transition into this global consumer driven market? Delicate balence in trying to maintain quality and repeat business through a100 lb. lot especially with as many new diggers and new dealers in the marketplace .

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds

Who's Online

We have 645 guests and no members online

Login