2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: 15.3 oz today - found some 4 prongs - decent first trip

Re:15.3 oz today - found some 4 prongs - decent first trip 12 years 8 months ago #11852

Way to go TN! Nearly a pound on the first trip out is pretty good:woohoo: . I'm chomping at the bit to get to go dig some. 11 more days:(

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:15.3 oz today - found some 4 prongs - decent first trip 12 years 8 months ago #11853

Billy and 5prong - it was a good first trip - very pleased.

greencountydigger - I did a image search online and found a couple of images of jewel weed. Most that you find online will show it with a little orange flower but that must happen earlier in the year because the jewel weed I found yesterday had no blooms on it. I expect that may happen in the spring or earlier in the summer.

This first one below shows some with the lil orange bloom.

Attachments:

Re:15.3 oz today - found some 4 prongs - decent first trip 12 years 8 months ago #11854

Below is a pic of a big patch of it. When I found it in the woods yesterday it was growing right beside the creek and was in a big patch somewhat like that.

If it has been raining or there is dew on the leaves or you splash some water up on it, the water that remains on the leaves will bead up and make shiney little balls. I think that is why it is called \"jewel\" weed.

You can see that some on the patch above.

Also the stem on the plant is quite easy to smash with your fingers and is just full of a greenish sap that you can easily squeeze out.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:15.3 oz today - found some 4 prongs - decent first trip 12 years 8 months ago #11855

Nice seng pics guys,
I went to one of my wild seng spots today to check on the berries. I can't believe it, I was in a corner of the woods that I rarely go into not too far from my wild seng patch that has over a hundred big old 4's. Much to my surprise I found a spot with 30 big ones all with in a 20 foot by 20 foot area.
Some were huge 4 prongs. Here is a pic below of a nice 4 prong growing right up through the middle of an even bigger 4 prong. Can't wait to get the remaining berries off them in a week when they get ripe and plant them.
Latt
Attachments:

Re:15.3 oz today - found some 4 prongs - decent first trip 12 years 8 months ago #11858

Very nice roots TN. I went out today for a quick hunt, 9 roots - 5oz.

Re:15.3 oz today - found some 4 prongs - decent first trip 12 years 8 months ago #11860

thanks for the pic TN, i see alot of that stuff just didnt know what it was called

Re:15.3 oz today - found some 4 prongs - decent first trip 12 years 8 months ago #12003

nice bro i found a good one today im gonna post about it

Re:15.3 oz today - found some 4 prongs - decent first trip 12 years 8 months ago #12004

nice bro i found a good one today im gonna post about it

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Who's Online

We have 121 guests and no members online

Login