2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: can i call this a 8 prong? sorry for dp my internet messed up

can i call this a 8 prong? sorry for dp my internet messed up 12 years 8 months ago #12013

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:can i call this a 8 prong? sorry for dp my internet messed up 12 years 8 months ago #12038

I honestly can't tell from the pics whether that is one root that has sent up 2 tops, or if it is two seperate roots that have grown nice and large and entertwined. If they are 2 seperate roots then I think you'd have to call them 2 nice 4-prongs. If that is just 1 plant then I think that different people would give you different opinions on whether that should be called an 8-prong. Either way it was a very nice find! And since you're the one who found and dug it I say that you can call it whatever you want:) Congrats man!

Re:can i call this a 8 prong? sorry for dp my internet messed up 12 years 8 months ago #12039

If it is one root with two 4 prong tops... don't think most would agree with calling it a 8 prong.

I have found single roots with 3 tops before and have seen others that had as many as 4 tops off one root.

My single root that had 3 tops, had 3 - 3 prong tops.

I did not call it a 9 prong though :-)

To me - before you can call it a X-Prong it needs to have 1 stem, and X number of branches off that 1 stem.

I have a friend whos dad found one that had 1 stem that went up to a 4 prong top, then where the berry stem usually is a stem continued on up from that to a 3 prong top, then it had a berry pod on top of that.

That is sort of a double decker top and I think in that case it could be called a 7 prong.

Not sure if there is any official ruling on this subject though.

Either way - nice root you have there and nice top(s) too.

Congrats !

TNhunter

Re:can i call this a 8 prong? sorry for dp my internet messed up 12 years 8 months ago #12040

Obviously 2, 4 prongers grown together. Still,,,damn nice roots compared to the dwarf 'seng we have here in IN.

Re:can i call this a 8 prong? sorry for dp my internet messed up 12 years 8 months ago #12088

I had never seen this happen before until just last year and I seen it happen 3 times. Once I found 2 two prongs with the same root, then I found a 3 and a 4 into the same root, then I found 2 big 4 prongs growing knee high into the same root, I wish I would have took a picture, I weighed the root green as soon as I came home and it weighed 4 ounces by itself, by far the best root I've ever dug.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds

Who's Online

We have 119 guests and no members online

Login